How to label songs on CD-R?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Allan, May 27, 2003.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

This may be a silly question... A while back, I posted a question about how to "rip" CDs. Well, I finally got around to buying a CD burner (a plextor), downloaded Nero, and lo and behold -- everything worked and I burned my first CD!!! Well, my question now is the best way to label what is on each CD. I guess I could just give a title to the CD (eg Workout Mix) and write that on the Cd with a felt tip marker. however, I would rather list all of the songs on the CD on the disks. Would it be okay to stick a label on the CD (a la an old disk) listing the songs?

Any suggestions as to what type of labels would be best?

thanks
    Allan

2. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

I just leave most of mine blank, i like a shock now and then[​IMG]
    but have found patterns also work.

james

edit: for labels some thing like This i can't recommend one brand over the other, the easiest way is just to buy writable CD-Rs

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I just use a sharpie but i don't usually make mix cd's or if I do i usually choose a descriptive word or just call it "stuff #"

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    I prefer to apply a blank CD label on the disc and write on top of that. If you buy a pack of Avery CD labels, look for the packs which include the free Avery label software. You can then print your own custom-made CD labels and even the jewel case inserts if you wish.

5. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I just write on the recorded CD with a permanent marker.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Some new printers (I believe Epson has one) actually let you stick a blank CD in 'em, and it'll print the label on the CD. I haven't seen this in person, and I think it requires a special type of CDR, but it sounds like a neat idea.

Me, I just write the title of the mix on the CD.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've been using cd stomper since i bought my first burner years ago.

it's the best tool i've used - simple and inexpensive.

the starter kit gives you: software, labels, j-cards and the world's easiest applicator. then i buy my jewel cases in bulk from office max.

i think their website is www.cdstomper.com - i couldn't connect just now.

a lot of retailers also carry it.

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I second Ted's recommendation about the CD Stomper...great little product. cdr4less has it on sale for $15.

A word of caution I do have about CD-R's with labels is to be careful if you use the disks in a car CD player where the disk slides in and out of the player. I know a couple of people who've had problems with the disk getting stuck in the player.

9. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I generally just use a Sharpie. If I'm putting full albums on the CD I'll list the artists/albums on the CD. If I'm doing a mix, I'll list a genre (e.g. jazz) if that applies, othewise I usually just put "Mix" and the date I cut the CD. I'm not real happy with the "Mix" solution, but there's no way I'm going to get 100 song titles on the front of the CD and I know a separate paper listing all the tracks will quickly and permanently become separated from the CD.