What's new

How to jump start an automatic (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
edit - I mean bump start.

Anyone have any ideas? The starter died...I can change it when I get home. But I need to get home tonight.

Solenoid clicks, but starter motor won't turn.

If I could just get one more start I wouldn't be stuck at work! Damn automatics.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you can't AFAIK dude :frowning:
you're SURE the battery is good? the clicking could mean the batt is weak, try a jumpstart first?

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I checked and the battery is fine, and whacking it was the first thing I tried a while ago. No luck. Ah well...I guess I need to start figuring out how to change it here at work.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
This is the #1 reason why I will always own a vehicle with a manual tranny. Of course my #1 complaint about a manual tranny is when I'm stuck for hours in bumper to bumper traffic, lol!

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
BEWARE starting newer cars with the old jump start technique should be avoided. I ruined my Beretta GTZ Quad 4 Dual Overhead Cams, the gear tooth broke the timing chain jumped a link and as a result it bent my valves when I droped the clutch! Check your owners manual to see if this should be AVOIDED!! ESPECIALLY on DUAL overhead cam design!!

Cary_H

Second Unit
How did you arrive at deciding the battery is OK?
Starting the car is a whole lot more demanding than, say, turning the lights on.
Your starter and battery might be just fine. You just might not be getting the juice needed to the starter.
Inspect the cables leaving the battery where they go into the battery terminal clamps. It is VERY common to see the first 1/2 inch or so corroded up the cable under the insulation. This can limit the current draw available to the starter and have an effect on it's rate of charge when you're running.
Remove the clamps from the cables if they look shaky, cut them back to clean cable and reattach the clamps. Clean up the battery terminals and the clamp inside faces to ensure decent contact.
As for automatics, a conventional jump start won't work. With newer cars take real care when using booster cables. The electronics don't take too kindly to screwups.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Sorry,no advice on how to fix it,Im just glad I am not the only one who hates driving a stick during rush hour.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Cary_H, I've seen on my own vehicles that if the battery is a little weak, or the terminals a bit loose everything will work fine, lights, radio, even my amps and subs, but the starter doesn't get enough juice. Just trying to save you a buck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks