How to integrate video switcher into receiver and sound system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Jun 28, 2001

I have been trying to decide what receiver to get for my home theater. As of right now, I think I'm going to need 3 component inputs - the Time Warner HD box, an OTA HD STB and a progressive DVD player. From what I can tell, the lower receiver that seems to have 3 component inputs is the Denon 4802, and that's really going to go over my limit of about $1000.

I have seen some recomendations for a component video switcher. I'm not so much worried about another box (although I'd certainly like to keep everything into 1 receiver, but oh well) as I am with getting the surround sound decoding of the sources connected to the external switcher.

Would someone mind explaining how this is accomplished?

2. Dan Puffer

Dan Puffer Auditioning

Feb 1, 2002
    Aaron, I am in the same situation. I demo'd the 4802 today and was very impressed. My yammy was fried in an electrical storm last week so I stared my quest for a replacement.
    (I was even watching the damn storm from my bedroom at 4:00 am, did I think about the equipment....NO..of course not[​IMG] )
    I was intending to upgrade the yamaha to a used v1 or something of the sort. But I am now blown away by these top end(read- out of my price range and listening ear range) receivers I think I will hold out and save for one of that ilk or find one with three component inputs,dpl2,neo and the like.
    Lurking in these forums gives me a wealth of info on my new mission.
    Thanks all