How to integrate digital cable with Tivo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i used the search function, but couldn't really find an answer. i'll check tivocommunity later, but i like to ask here first.
    hi all -
    some recent converts to tivo who absolutely love it have got me thinking about it. he gave me a half-hour summary of it, so i think i understand it's capabilities.
    but he didn't know about how it would work with digital cable (comcast) since his model has the dish receiver/tivo combo.
    so, do any of you have advice on this? specifically:
    compatibility?
    advantages or disadvantages?
    specific brands and/or models?
    my apartment does not face south, so i don't think a dish is a viable alternative, plus i don't feel like getting a dish-feed until i get my own place.
    thanks all,
    ted

2. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

You connect your cable box to the video and audio in of the tivo, then the audio and video out from tivo to TV. Your tivo controls the cable box with RS232 cable or IR blasters.

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have digital cable and it works just peachy. GET IT! GET IT! GET IT! I COMMAND YOU!! [​IMG]
    You can buy the stand-alone units from either Best Buy or the TiVo web site. There is the 60 hour Philips model ($399) or the AT&T 40 hour model ($299). You do not need AT&T cable in order to use this one. You can also get refurbed or modified units from places like 9thtee.com or weaknees.com. Or try Ebay.
    You might be able to find an open box Series 1 (Philips or Sony) at Good Guys. CC, etc...

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Ted,
    Get Tivo. You'll love it. I've had mine for a little over a year now and it's never had any problems other than causing fights with my wife. At first she hated the idea of adding another electronic device but after a week or so she figured it out then started recording all kinds of things. Soon after we were fighting each other for hard drive space. I have the Sony model but the manufacturer really doesn't matter, they all use the same software. During the final episode of survivor my dog wanted to go for a walk so I just hit 'pause' and came back 20 minutes later and resumed watching it. It's also neat to be able to watch a show and 20 minutes into it decide to hit record and it'll catch it from the beginning.
    Yes it works fine with Digital Cable. I have Cox digital cable and it works great. It's fairly easy to hook up. The Tivo box will be connected in between the cable box and tv (if I recall correctly).
    All the info you'll ever need is at the www.avsforum.com in the Tivo area.
    Good Luck,
    Jeff

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks all -
    looks like integration won't be a problem.
    one thing i didn't think about: is the connection between the cable-box and the tivo a digital or analog connection?
    heath made it sound like it's analog...if that is the case is there any noticeable signal degredation? but then he mentioned the rs-232 port which (i think?) is digital?
    heck, i suppose nothing can be worse then the horrendous compression artificats i'm already seeing! [​IMG]
    thanks again all...

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

The audio is analog only. The RS-232 port can be used to 1) communicate with the Tivo via a BASH shell (Tivo's OS is Linux), 2) control a DirecTV receiver or cable box. Controlling a DTV/Cable box via the IR blaster can be problematic for some folks. The RS-232 port is faster and more reliable.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ahh...i'm starting to get excited. might just have to make a foray to my local b&m this weekend...

thanks again all - i appreciate the responses!

9. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Just do it Ted. You won't regret having Tivo!

Jeff