How to install Barbed Body insert nuts ?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bill**H, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Bill**H

Bill**H Stunt Coordinator

I bought Parts Express # 081-1094 Barbed body insert nuts to mount my Tempest. Do I install them from inside like a Tee nut or from the outside? If I install them from the outside, how do I flush mount them so the Tempest makes contact all the way around? I do not have a 1/2" router bit to use to sink the collar in 1/16".

The Tempest AA is coming around great. I even put dado's in all the brace glue joints and flush mounted the driver. All this from a guy who never used a router in his life. I even made my own hole jig. With out this forum and all the fine people here I would of never been able to do this!

Thank all of you!

Bill

2. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

I see the problem. I assume the collar is supposed to go "out", but assuming machine screw threads it should work either way -- you'll just have to screw backwards. Alternatively, take a scrap of MDF, drill a hole and see if you can whack in the insert until the collar is flush without damaging the MDF.

It's for reasons like this that I use threaded inserts. Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "knife thread inserts".

How are you sealing the driver to the cabinet? If you seal properly, it may be OK if the collars are just a little bit proud.

Congrats on the project. Speakerbuilding is a blast, isn't it? Are there pictures on the way?

Bob

Sealed Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

3. Bill**H

Bill**H Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    I do not know how to post pictures. I can take some with my neighbors camera. I have the 4 sides, top and the braces all glued up. I also made the cut out for the amp and drilled the screw holes for it and the ports. The glue must of made the MDF swell up as I had a hell of a time getting the one wide brace down in the box after putting the glue on. Had to drive it in with a 3 pound hammer and it was a slip fit with out the glue. I can see how the dado's will make it strong.

If I could get to Brett's DIY 214L Tempest page in this thread
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...empest+214L%2A I could get another look at his legs so I could see how wide to make them. He had a couple of shots of the bottom and I like how they look.

When I get the legs attached to the bottom I can glue the bottom on and start sanding and get it painted. Then install the amp, stuff it with polyfil and install the driver last. Is this a good way to do it?

This is going to look good for a neophyte wood worker.

Bill

4. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

It sounds like you're making excellent progress! By going to the trouble of making dados for the braces (which I didn't do), you're going to have one heck of a well-braced cabinet. No harm that you had you had to whack the brace in -- you know it'll be tight! I've had to whack joints together with a big shot-filled rubber hammer.

One nice thing about diy is that you can adjust the design to your tastes. I can't get to Brett's pictures either, but if you saw something you liked, go for it!

If you can get hold of a digital camera and download pictures to your computer, you can then upload them to a hosting service on the web. As you may have seen, I have pictures of my Tempest project and another speaker project at an audio site called Audiocircle. Yahoo also has a free picture service where I post audio and non-audio photos, http://photos.yahoo.com/elektratig .

Good luck!