How to install a new HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn O, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for advice/instructions for a noob on how to install a new hard drive.It will be an UDMA66 drive.I would also like to transfer my existing drive information onto it as is.I can't just add a new drive and keep the old one as I am out of PCI slots.

Any info or links will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Hard Drives don't use PCI slots

You can have both drives in the machine at the same time by making one the master, one the slave and they can exist on the same IDE channel. I have never seen a computer with less than 2 IDE channels

Refer to your computer manual on exactly how to put it into your computer (guessing storebought contraption), and if you're buying a boxed retail drive, it also will have instructions

3. CarlDJr

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

Here are four articles that describe installing a hard drive. I would read all four since each one may clear up a question that another has raised for you.
    http://www.futurelooks.com/features/...age1_frame.htm
    http://pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,47370,00.asp
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/idedrv1.html
    http://www.dansdata.com/sbs27.htm
    To move the data from one to the other, I found this program to be the easiest for a "noobie" like me.
    http://www.fssdev.com/products/
    After you install the drive it will need to be formatted before you can do anything. If it is a retail version then you should get a program with the drive that will format it.If you don't get a program with your drive, then go to the manufacturer's website. All of them have programs you can download.
    You can have the two drives installed at the same time, you have to in order to move the data from one to the other.
    The articles will explain about primary and secondary IDE channels; master and slave; etc.
    My suggestion is to print out the articles and any other info you find BEFORE you start the switch, then you'll have it all at hand.
    It's not hard, if I can do it anyone can. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

4. Shawn O

Thanks for the answers and links.It's actually my old custom built HTPC that is now being used as a multi-purpose PC.10 gigs got used up pretty quickly.

I'm looking at either the WD 40 gig or Maxtor 40 gig.

Thanks again,
    Shawn

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Hopefully you won't have to flash your bios to utilize a higher capacity drive. How old is the motherboard?

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd recommend putting the new drive in and making it the master and setting the old one as the slave. If you do it correctly you can keep all the data on the old drive and then transfer it to the new one after the OS is installed etc. I've used Maxtor for both my drives on my computer and have not had any problems. I have a 17gb (original) and a 40gb that I installed my self over a year ago.
    -Andre F

8. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Whatever you buy, go to the manufacturers web site and download a HDD installation/troubleshooting software, if available. I installed an IBM 120GXP about a month ago in my HTPC. Had all sorts of problems. I downloaded some IBM software and voila! Problems solved. Not only that, the software made it easier to partition and format the new HDD. Much faster install than FDISK.

9. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Shawn, Jeff has a good point about how old the computer is, as depending on the BIOS and your OS, your computer may not correctly recognize the drive.

And I'm putting in another vote for WD, I'm running 3 right now, and the computer I put together at work is also running an WD...and just splurge a little and get teh 80 gig...even if you aren't like me, (need to start burning again, 3 gigs left on the 100 gigger), a little extra capacity never hurt anyone.

10. Shawn O

Thanks for all the replies guys.I went with a 60 gig WD.It was actually cheaper than the 40 b/c of a mail in rebate.Came to $150 Canadian which is just under $100 US.The 100 gig was around $300 cdn.

My motherboard is 3yrs old.It's an Asus K7M and I've looked through the PDF briefly but didn't see any mention of HD size.I'll have to take a closer look.Is anyone familiar with this Mobo?

Anyway,the HD box says that it includes installation and partitioning software so hopefully my first experience will be a good one[fingers crossed].