What's new

How to increase power output (wattage) of the receiver especially for subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

inckka

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephan
I'm having an ordinay Dolby Digital receiver which outputs 600W.
Id like to get some improved amount of watts for the other speakers and especially for the sub woofer.
Receiver has ordinary 5 channel outs and subwoofer out.
Also has a purple color subwoofer out RCA socket.
What equipment should I search for?
I searched for an amplifier, however those come with minimum 2 channels. I'm looking for 1 channel amplifier for my subwoofer.
Am I doing my research correct?

P.S:

Additionally I've seen people use best of the best AVRs on the market like Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. However when I check those specs, every unit's sound output is some what between 300W-800W.
So I'm wondering how those folks are increasing the loudness of their systems to match with the room. Definitely 300W, 500W not enough for the job.
I just need to know technically how to achieve that. You might say, use and amplifier. So normally should I find an amplifier which has 6 channel ins and 6 Chanel out?

Last edited:

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If I understand you correctly you're looking for more power for you subwoofer. Assuming that you are using the LFE/sub out on the AVR you're dealing with a powered subwoofer. The only way to get more power to that would be to replace the amp or just replace the entire unit with a new one. However, I have feeling that instead of power/watts you're asking about more volume. To get more volume out of it you can try adjusting the gain/volume on the sub. If it is indeed all the way up then you could look in your AVR menu to see if there is a subwoofer adjustment. Try adjusting that to a higher level. You can also play with the positioning of the unit in your room to get more volume.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Asking some more questions, may help with the answers:

I'm having an ordinary Dolby Digital receiver which outputs 600W.
Id like to get some improved amount of watts for the other speakers and especially for the sub woofer.

Question: What is the model number of your receiver? Do you have separates, or a home theater in a box?

Receiver has ordinary 5 channel outs and subwoofer out.
Also has a purple color subwoofer out RCA socket.
What equipment should I search for?

Questions: What are you looking to do with the equipment?

Is your current setup not loud enough, so you are attempting to add an amplifier?

Seems like you are having a sub issue - what sub are you using, and how do you have it hooked up?

I searched for an amplifier, however those come with minimum 2 channels. I'm looking for 1 channel amplifier for my subwoofer.
Am I doing my research correct?

Answer: Depending on your answers to the questions above, we may be able to solve your issue. It could be anything at this point. You may just have a level/setup issue, or a system/speaker issue. Cannot tell enough from your description to recommend what research you need to be doing.

inckka

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephan
If I understand you correctly you're looking for more power for you subwoofer. Assuming that you are using the LFE/sub out on the AVR you're dealing with a powered subwoofer. The only way to get more power to that would be to replace the amp or just replace the entire unit with a new one. However, I have feeling that instead of power/watts you're asking about more volume. To get more volume out of it you can try adjusting the gain/volume on the sub. If it is indeed all the way up then you could look in your AVR menu to see if there is a subwoofer adjustment. Try adjusting that to a higher level. You can also play with the positioning of the unit in your room to get more volume.

My sub woofer is not powered. its Just connects to the AVR. And I don't have an amp except the AVR. Also don't have any control over Sub. And yes, I'm looking for higher volume.
That's why I need some middle ware between AVR and subwoofer.

inckka

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephan
Asking some more questions, may help with the
Question: What is the model number of your receiver? Do you have separates, or a home theater in a box?
I'm using a RCA 2770 AVR. Which is separate and not a htib.

Questions: What are you looking to do with the equipment?
My only intention is to get loud volume from the sub-woofer and all other speakers.

Is your current setup not loud enough, so you are attempting to add an amplifier?
Indeed you are correct.

Seems like you are having a sub issue - what sub are you using, and how do you have it hooked up?
I'm using the sub which came with the AVR. Not a powered one.

Additionally I've seen people use best of the best AVRs on the market like Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. However when I check those specs, every unit's sound output is some what between 300W-800W.
So I'm wondering how those folks are increasing the loudness of their systems to match with the room. Definitely 300W, 500W not enough for the job.
I just need to know technically how to achieve that. You might say, use and amplifier. So normally should I find an amplifier which has 6 channel ins and 6 Chanel out? (I've post this potion of text to original post also for better understanding)

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm using a RCA 2770 AVR. Which is separate and not a htib.

I'm sorry to say but you're not. You have a HTiB that looks like an AVR and separates but it's really just a HTiB setup. You can tell by the limited number of inputs, passive subwoofer and no video switching/inputs at all.

The one saving grace of the system is that is does seem to have a dedicated subwoofer pre-out. So if you're wanting more low end you simply need to go buy a powered subwoofer and hook it into the system. That will have it's own amplifier that you can adjust with your system to hopefully get the levels you're looking for.

The real question is how much do you want to spend to get a new sub for your system?

Also don't have any control over Sub

That further reinforces that this is a HTiB unit not an AVR. I've seen even HTiB units have a subwoofer level or bass control. Again the good part is you can add in a powered sub to your existing unit.

300w, 500w of what? Total system power? Watts per channel?

Power ratings for most gear is inflated. For the low end HTiB stuff it's hyper inflated and just ridiculous. If you have good speakers 10 watts a channel is all you will need to get plenty loud. Most decent speakers (and some very good ones) will need 20-30 watts to preform in most situations. Even mainstream AVRs don't get much more than 50 watts/channel in a surround mode unless you're spending some decent money. It's all about the speakers and how sensitive/efficient they are.

If you need more volume from the other speakers in addition to the subwoofer you have a few options.
  1. Replace the whole system. Yep start over with a system that has more power, better speakers and better features like tone/level control. This could be another more expensive HTiB (not recommended) or a Pre-Pack system with a true AVR.
  2. Replace the existing speakers with better ones. Changing out the small satellite speakers with larger more efficient ones will give you more volume without needing more power. The good part is you can start with the front
  3. Change out the head unit for an actual AVR. This will give you more power and much better control over the speakers that you do have. You will need to get a powered subwoofer to work with a new AVR so keep that in mind.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"I'm using a RCA 2770 AVR. Which is separate and not a htib."

-- Looked up that model number - and by home theater in a box - it comes with the receiver and all of the speakers in 1 box. Most of these systems are designed to be used with the priority speakers that come with it, but it seems like that is not the case for yours.

I tried looking that up, but only found the RT2770 model - as seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/5-1-Channel-1000-Watt-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000P6J79E

Followed that link to some reviews - and found these two from owners of that system - first, the cheap fix ($0)

"I have read several reviews on this where people complained that it wasn't loud enough. When I first turned it on and played Cars on Blu Ray through an optical connection I felt the same way. But then I read the instructions and noticed a "Level" button on the remote. This button lets you adjust the output level of each speaker and the subwoofer from -10 to +10. I adjusted all speakers to +5 and the sub to +10. Now I listen with the main volume at 37 and it's plenty loud enough and the bass is solid and clear."

While blindly cranking up all of the speaker levels isn't usually recommended, it does say that there is a way to change your sub level volume, and the user above adjusted up his sub level from the existing passing sub and seemed happy with the results. You could try this and see if it works for you. I would raise the sub output level only though...

I also found this in a review:

"While the sound is warm and clear, the receiver seems to have a rather low maximum volume compared to other home theater systems, but I think that has more to do with the small size of the speaker cones limiting the amount of air they can move, and the fact that the receiver has to do double duty driving the passive sub. Fortunately, the receiver has a LFA-output, allowing you to upgrade to a powered sub, which should raise the overall volume output of the system as more power from the receiver could be directed to the satellite speakers & center. Of course, if one has upgraded the sub, one could also upgrade the rest of the speakers to larger drivers and the system should really open up and produce more volume. "

So according this user - you could add an active sub and change out the speakers on your system.

For your issue, adding an active sub would be the second thing I would try (as the first one is free, I would try raising the sub level first).

Active subs have a built in amplifier, so your receiver will not have to power the passive sub. It requires plugging the sub into a wall outlet, and running a single RCA cable from the back of your receiver to the sub.

- You didn't mention a budget, but you can search this site for powered subs, and get reviews and options for them.

inckka

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephan
"I'm using a RCA 2770 AVR. Which is separate and not a htib."
"I have read several reviews on this where people complained that it wasn't loud enough. When I first turned it on and played Cars on Blu Ray through an optical connection I felt the same way. But then I read the instructions and noticed a "Level" button on the remote. This button lets you adjust the output level of each speaker and the subwoofer from -10 to +10. I adjusted all speakers to +5 and the sub to +10. Now I listen with the main volume at 37 and it's plenty loud enough and the bass is solid and clear."

I'm really grateful that you find this. You fixed my day. :dancing-banana-04:
Yes this worked like a charm. For now I can live with this settings.
Anyhow my next upgrade would be a powered (active) sub woofer. I'm looking for an used one because my budget is very low somewhat around $100-$150.

When looking for this I came up with a question. How many watts(volume) and how many inches should should I look for?
Normally I found on Ebay 10" with 100W, would that enough for a reasonable living space?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Normally I found on Ebay 10" with 100W, would that enough for a reasonable living space?

I would think that a 10" sub with 100 watts would do fine in a reasonable living space. Especially coming from a passive unit that is probably less than 8" and who knows how much power. The powered sub should make a big difference in your experience.

inckka

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephan
I would think that a 10" sub with 100 watts would do fine in a reasonable living space. Especially coming from a passive unit that is probably less than 8" and who knows how much power. The powered sub should make a big difference in your experience.

To be precise, I'm talking about this product
(please let me know if posting a specific product is against the policies of the forum. I'll immediately edit the post.)

would you recommend this for a good experience.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
That is a solid budget subwoofer that should preform well for you. To get the most out of that you'll want to get a "Y" type subwoofer cable so you can populate both inputs. This will allow you to get the most volume out of this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks