How to improve bass responce?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisLazarko, Nov 3, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well right now i'm dealing with my Polk Audio PSW250 in my second home theater setup since I just built my first DIY subwoofer which came out pretty good. I had an extra EQ laying around from about 1992 so I decided i'll hook it up to the subwoofer.

It gets the freq. 30, 60, and 120 for the subwoofer, and my HK recievers seems to give the sub signals from about 120Hz or so... but I guess it always varies.

Now there are 5 bars till it hits the top. The 30 is on the 5th bar up, the 60 is on the 3rd bar while the 120 remains at -1 since it came in way too strong and it always has (must be a downfall of a Polk sub. [​IMG] )

Now do you guys thing this will be a definant improvement on movies and such or is it better just to leave it? It seems like it gives a bit more kick now when I hooked it up, probably since I increase the 30Hz and 60Hz higher. This subwoofers freq. responce is supposed to be down to like 28Hz so I see no point in getting a EQ for a subwoofer as this thing doesn't go much lower than the EQ. Any suggestions/ ideas?

2. ChrisLazarko

Also, with the EQ installed it makes a very faint hum noise... like a little extra current is flowing through? I am assuming this is normal and will not damage the subwoofer?

3. ChrisLazarko

Anyone have anything on this?

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Search here and at the DYI section of the forum for "Sub EQ". This is a complex subject, and there are many good posts to read.

EQ is used to match the bass response to your room. Stuff below say 200 Hz or so is heavily dominated by the way the sub and other bass drivers couple to the room.

The EQ sliders you have are way too coarse for effective sub EQ. The best you can hope for is to adjust them by ear, and treat them as tone controls.

To EQ a Sub requires test tones, a measuring device (an SPL meter is a good place to start), an EQ with at least 1/6th octave centers in the bass region (or even better a parametric EQ), and lots of patience.

BGL

5. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

The PSW-250 is kind of a entry level sub designed to add some lows to a setup. It could be called a bass "module", but I've heard it work quite well as a standard sub.
    If its bass below 30hz (especially around the 20hz-30hz area), you are probably trying to push a bit too much out of the 8-inch 250. I have the PSW-350 (10 inch) myself and it performs like a champ within its reasonable limits...can I get sound out of it near 20hz and a little higher with testtones? Yes. Does it shake the walls and rattle my teeth at 20ish hz? No, but its not an SVS or Velodyne nor does it have their price tag.
    I'd try to get the 250 dialed in to supplement the lower mid-badd and upper-bass regions (its excellent in these areas). For the lower registers I'd add a larger sub or a DIY sub. Just my 2 cents.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. ChrisLazarko

Well it is set to about 1/4 power on the control which isn't much and it still delivers with my HK set at about -35dB. I'm going to crank it up a bit more today but my big worry is this electrical type noise coming from the sub now that the EQ is installed? It's like a faint hum sound and the sub does move a little bit if you put your finger on it... although very slight I am curious why it is doing this... and when plugged directly into the reciever it is not.