What's new

How to implement speakers in a lounge designed wall (1 Viewer)

Toffi

Auditioning
Real Name
Raoul
We are in the midst of building our house and I plan to set up a 5.1 home theater system in our main lounge/living room.
The issue is that the main TV wall has a very special and problematic (for me) design.
We are planning to cover the wall with wooden slats in a similar way to what is in the attached picture.

We also do not really have a good place to put the Subwoofer so I am planning to install a Monitor Audio in-wall sub (see attached picture)
The surround speakers will be in-ceiling speakers.

My original plan was to have all the speakers (front Right/Left + center + sub) installed in a dry-wall , and then cover them with the wooden slats as in picture - but I am now worried that this might seriously affect the sound of the speakers .
What do you guys think?
Should I maybe shift to using small satellite speakers instead, which will be installed on the wooden slats?

Attachments

• creative-wood-paneling.1.jpg
    creative-wood-paneling.1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IWS-10_inwall_sub.jpg
    IWS-10_inwall_sub.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 145

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome to HTF Raoul. Unfortunately you are going to find that your idea is somewhere between 'unoptimal' and downright terrible. If you are hellbent on doing it, at least be willing to honestly assess it and have a backup plan (like maybe colored acoustically transparent cloth?)

If you get it done and you are satisfied, go with it and don't let any of us geezers tell ya different =)

Toffi

Auditioning
Real Name
Raoul
I got enough feedback from all kind of sources that this is a bad idea - so I will not be doing it.
I will let the wife decide between these 3 possible options:
1 - having inwall speaker where the will be no wood slats and the grille will be visible.
2 - going to floor standing speakers tat will somehow suite the overall design and look (not big bombastic ones but more like in the picture below)
3 - satellite speakers that will be attached to the wooden slats (less preferable)
רמקול יפה.jpg

what about the subwoofer: are the inwall subwoofers with dedicated back boxes sufficient or should I really try to convince the lady that a self standing sub is necessary ?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I think the slats look good in the picture - and getting some LCR on wall speakers and will sound a whole lot better then in-walls and keep the clean look you are going for (and hopefully the wife will like as well)

I made an extremely bad rendering below using your original picture - using some on walls - like these from HTD

This would still look good with the slats - are designed to be placed on the walls and look cleaner then the towers. - and will fit in with the slats look as well:

With LCR Speakers - on wall.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 3.23.22 PM.png

Last edited:

Toffi

Auditioning
Real Name
Raoul
WOW Mortino,
Thanks for putting in the time and effort to make this "demo for me. Thats not a bad idea at all. I think this might really be a good solution. will sure show my wife the simulation picture you made.
When looking into in-wall speakers and sub I was mainly looking at Monitor Audio , and actually they have something very similar:
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/soundframe
and they have 2 options of installing them.

upload_2017-8-5_22-18-59.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks