What's new

how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ? (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
This is just so unacceptable. I've spoken to a few product managers and brand managers in the last few days, explained this situation to them, and they just laughed at Universal's stupidity. At first, most of them thought I was joking or that I "have the facts wrong".
What's even more ridiculous is that we have no way of getting the new version. Why even bother with the "do-over" if you don't allow folks the opportunity to make an educated choice as to what they're buying.
I guess we're going to have to call this the "Jurassic Surprise". Like a pinata. Go to Best Buy with a bat, smash up the Jurassic Park DTS DVDs on the rack, and see what comes out of the package.
crazy.gif

Although you'd never know it from the above, I'm actually at a loss for words regarding their handling of this.
Regards,
Dan

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
Incredible isn't it? The first DTS movie being screwed up big time, as I said on the Feedback section.
furious.gif

Now, what we could do, is get copies from various sources, send them all to Bjoern so he can test them and gives us the verdict...... KIDDING!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

Without the official commitment of a major dvd site or forum, we'll get no official help or guiltiness from Universal. And what about all the remasterings ? Can we trust Universal has asked DTS to re-encode all future JP dvds ?........ food for thought........

DanR

Supporting Actor
Without the official commitment of a major dvd site or forum, we'll get no official help or guiltiness from Universal.
I seriously doubt Universal would even give a shit if a major DVD website ran an article on this. Due to their not wanting to do anymore chats with this forum, and also never responding to DVDTalk's questions (which Universal even asked DVDTalk to collect on their behalf and submit for responses), it is quite clear that Universal wants nothing to do with the internet or their customers on the internet . . .
Just like it's easier to call someone a name behind their back than to their face, maybe it's much easier for Universal to rake us over the coals if they don't "know" us through internet interaction. Just a thought.
Regards,
Dan

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
needless to say, i am pissed about this too...
...today i recieved my corrected Cleopatra Disc 2 in the mail FREE OF CHARGE...Fox admitted they made a mistake and corrected it and they make me want to buy more Fox titles (which i certainly will, thank you Mr. Staddon)
...i agree in saying that this is absolute, please pardon my bad language, bullshit that Universal won't replace an odviously flawed product (JP DTS DVD is the only DVD i have to adjust my sub on)...
...if Universal wants to keep my (our) business, they need to admit that they are wrong and replace at least the Jurassic Park disc, if not the Lost World too...
...i think that we need to start some sort of petition (ALA Star Wars on Digital Bits) to get this decision changed... it is just bad business on Universal's part and not the right thing to do...
...woo...ok...i'm all right now...glad i got that off my chest... :)
------------------
Robert Lutter

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Dan
Seems the gross total nr of dvds shipped ( all sort ) was 2.5m units. Let's guess 500,000 were dts dvds ( just a guess ): considering it costs them about $1 to manufacture ( the fabrication ) that's $500,000 if all dts are recalled for free and replaced + shipping. But they probably thinking of it at the price they sell to wholesalers and retailers, something around $10-12. So they see it as $5,000,000 grosso modo. I doubt they will react. Probably a few thousands discs have been remastered so far.
http://www.dansjp3page.com/oldnews13.asp
JP+TLW DVD Sales
The results from last week's DVD sales are in, with the JP+TLW DVDs slipping to fourth and seventh place, respectivly, replaced by the excellent Toy Story 2 Pack. The JP+TLW collection is still holding strong at #8. (Thanks Las Cinco Muertes). In similar news, Seagram, Universal Studio's parent corporation, brags that the JP DVD's shipped 2.5 million units in the first two weeks of their release in their 1Q earnings report.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
yeah...but figure that not everyone is going to go to the trouble of calling and getting a replacement...
------------------
Robert Lutter

DanR

Supporting Actor
David,
I don't think there's any way 500,000 of the 2.5 M were DTS. There were something like 10 variations (including boxed sets, LE boxed sets, P&S, Widscreen, Dolby, DTS, etc).
When you consider that not everyone is going to call for a replacement, the cost is minimal, but the long term effect is bad. Many companies don't think further than the next quarter.
They way any rational company SHOULD look at this is as follows (and this is back of the envelope here with very quick data):
1)I have ~24 Universal DVDs after 4 years of Collecting, which is ~6 discs per year.
2)Universal's margin per disc is ~ $11-13 per disc; this should be pretty close to actual.
3)6 * 12 ~ $72 contribution margin to Universal per year from me.
4)Assumption: No matter what the video format is, the margin has to be assumed to be the same; we can't speculate on the DVD-succesor's margin (though we should assume it would actually be more once it reaches maturity, otherwise what incentive would the studio have to support the "new" format?). I'm a collector, and will collect indefinitely until I die, say 45 years from now.
5)$72 per year for 45 years discounted @ the 30 year rate of 5.64% gives a value of ~ $1,150 of me as a lifetime customer to Universal.
So, I'm worth $1,150 to Universal in terms of today. Basically, my lifetime value to Universal as a customer is $1,150 in today's $.
How much does it cost Universal to press and author the new disc, $2? $3? Add in shipping via USPS Priority Mail @ ~$3 for a total of $6 cost to replace a JP DTS DVD.
I'm not buying anymore Universal DVDs until they stand by their product. So they just "lost" ~ $1,150 because I am no longer their customer.
By not replacing my Jurassic Park DTS, Universal has just "cost" themselves ~ $1,144 (i.e. -$1,150 loss of me as a customer plus the $6 they "save" by not replacing my JP DTS).
Now, regardless of how many DTS DVDs shipped, etc, etc: If you were Universal and I called you or wrote a letter about this situation, would you replace my Jurassic Park DTS DVD? You bet your ass you would. Fox seems to understand the concept of Lifetime Value of a customer (especially good ones like us at HTF) with the way they handled Cleopatra.
Regards,
Dan

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
check you arguments before sounding so "factual" or " you guys don't know nothing " yada yada

I never said that "you guys don't know nothing". What was it I sounded factual about, and what was I wrong about. I'm asking in all honesty, because as far as I can tell there has been no mention of the coming DVD being remastered, or having any other differences than the LFE-level. It really seems to me like you're making a much bigger deal out of this than it really is. Just my two cents...
/Mike
------------------

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
? the production date on the dvd or the barcode could give us a hint since the big 2.5M discs where manufactured in 2000?

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I think I'll try to return my (unopened) DTS of both JP and LW - I may not be able to get anything but store credit, but at least they may eventually buck back to Universal.

CliffS

Auditioning
If there's anyone here who lives in the Denver area, we can try and meet up to compare them first hand so that people don't start thinking Perry Sun, Obi and I are in some sort of rare fantasy Jurassic Park club. Just shoot me an email at [email protected]
------------------
Cliff
DVDFile.com

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Nice idea ( though I live a good 9000kms from you Cliff
biggrin.gif
) but what I would like to see, if possible, is a new graph from Bjoern so we can see how the new dvd goes by. And any comment on the production year or the barcode ??

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Well I decided to give DTS a call this afternoon and ask why Jurassic Park was so mysteriously missing from their online store. They claim the reason is because they are launching a new online store soon and they aren't restocking titles they sold out of (Jurassic Park supposedly being one of them). Looks like Universal may be putting the gag order to DTS as we thought. My business sense is if something sells well, you better stock as much of it as you can :)...but that's just me. I hope this situation gets settled soon.
Brandon Smith
http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2

Aaron Carr

Agent
Hey guys this is my first post to the Home Theater Forum. I've been a LONG time reader and I thought finally I have a little information to share about this JP DTS issue. I've spoken with Sabrina Heraux of DTS a few times so far this week and here are the answers to a couple questions I asked her about this issue...
">>>Will you be selling the *NEW* repressed disc once your updated online store is up and running?
I am assuming that the new discs will have hit the market by then. We are not asking for specific discs from Universal, because they don't have a way of telling them apart. We just have to wait until the new discs come to market - in other words, for the previous version to sell out.
>>>Also is there anyway I could personally order a copy of the repressed directly from you?
We had some of the repressed version, and I believe we're all out. These were disseminated to certain parties a few months ago.
>>>If anything I really hope DTS takes the initiative and offers the repressed disc on your site with some statement that it is the re-mastered version.
We must adhere to Universal's request that we sell these just as any retailer would. I understand the grief and frustration associated with this issue. We will not make any statement that has not been approved by the studios about any given disc. "
So basically DTS can't do a thing about this issue without the go ahead from Universal. It really saddens me when I think about what Universal is doing here. Well, it seems like this search for the repressed disc is far from over.
Aaron

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Why do some people say the Lost World has a botched DTS track and others say it doesn't? Which is the the truth?
Thanks,
Jeff

DanR

Supporting Actor
We must adhere to Universal's request that we sell these just as any retailer would. I understand the grief and frustration associated with this issue. We will not make any statement that has not been approved by the studios about any given disc. "
So basically DTS can't do a thing about this issue without the go ahead from Universal. It really saddens me when I think about what Universal is doing here. Well, it seems like this search for the repressed disc is far from over.
It's this last part that has further angered me. This makes Universal's motives absolutely clear. They have no regard for thier customers.
Is there something we can do, like complain to some type of "Better Business Bureau like" agency. This is the same product (as designated by its SKU), and Universal is clearly doing something to the consumer that they shouldn't be doing.
I don't want to let Universal get away with this. Does anyone out there with a governmental agency, regulatory, or legal background have any suggestions for what route we could take to ensure Universal doesn't get away with this? There has to be some agency that protects consumer against a company not standing by its faulty product.
Any help would be appreciated from those of us who want to pursue this disgusting issue.
Regards,
Dan

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron: thanks and shame on Universal. the more we digg, the clearer it becomes.
Jeff: search for the last thread opened by Bjoern Roy : it's about LW comparative charts. see for yourself and you'll understand. Though the problem is not as critical as for JP. No corrected tracks to be expected there.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
quote: Why do some people say the Lost World has a botched DTS track and others say it doesn't? Which is the the truth?[/quote]
I say that the Lost World DVD does have a botched dts track. I have the dts DVD and the dts LD and although it wasn't a scientific comparsion, It seems apparent that the DVD is lacking LFE just as Jurassic Park is. It could just be my ears, but then again perception is reality.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Dan
Clearly, Universal has since the beginning absolutely no intention of reimbursing or offering an exchange program to customers: it's crystal clear and they have DTS by the balls. That's what happens when you let someone else use your codec system ( but DTS was kinda forced to, to grab a share of the dvd market anyway ).
I repeat it: it's Steven Spielberg that should be made aware of his baby movie soundtrack screwed up. The first DTS movie screwed up on dvd.
Maybe this is a nightmare....... oops, not it's not: it's xxxxxxxx reality!
angry.gif

all comparative charts can be found here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/027531.html

Aaron Carr

Agent
DanR,
I'm behind you 1000% in wanting to take some kind of action against Universal reguarding this matter. Like you I was just as angry and frustrated when Sabrina told me that even though they know about the problem they can't offically say a word about it till Universal gives the ok. What angers me so much is something Sabrina herself said "We just have to wait until the new discs come to market - in other words, for the previous version to sell out." Uhhh ok so when has it ever been ok for a company to let stores sellout out of faulty product before they can restock the shelves with the new product? So all of us with the mis-mastered disc have to sit around and wait for all the people who don't know about a repressed disc to buy the proven faulty disc before the *NEW* disc can hit the shelves??? This clearly has to be the biggest scandal to hit DVD so far. What can we do???? I would think the first thing maybe is to let everyone who doesn't read the HTF know about this issue. Maybe Bill Hunt's the Digital Bits or Cliff Stephenson of DVDfile could all make note of this on their sites? I don't know but I am sickend by all of this and I willing to do what I can in order to get this out in the open and resolved.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks