How to ID a Faroudja chip?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Be, Feb 21, 2002.

1. George Be

George Be Auditioning

I just bought a Philips DVD-972C progressive scan DVD changer (see this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...618#post462618 )
    Another Forum user told me that it does NOT have the Faroudja chip set in it, even thought Philips' Website states that it DOES. So, I opened it up, and couldn't find anything that looked to ME like a Faroudja chip(s).
    Here is a list of all the major chips in the unit. Can anyone tell me if any of these are a Faroudja in disguise?
    Logo: Capital L superimposed over capital G
    Number: LG GDC25D80
    Logo: Mediamatics
    Number:
    Pantera-2
    VT117AD
    Logo: Xilinx
    Number:
    XC9572XL
    Logo: small d (like Greek, with "tail")
    Number:
    33P3721-CGT
    ZT01224
    Reverse side of board:
    Logo: Bold capital F, with middle stroke protruding through other side
    Number:
    N125
    KA3031
    Logo: Capital L superimposed over capital G (similar to other LG chip above)
    Numbers:
    GLT440L16
    Logo: Hyundai
    Numbers:
    HY57VS53220B
    Logo: Two capital B's back to back (Burr-Brown)
    Number:
    PCM1600Y
    Logo: Two capital B's back to back (Burr-Brown)
    Number:
    PM1716E
    Logo: Atmel
    Number:
    AT49BV1614
    Thanks,
    GB

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The 'Faroudja' chip would say SAGE FLI2200 on it. The deinterlace chip in your player is the Mediametics Pantera-2. This is probably one of the worse chips out there actually, generally rated below the 1st generation Genesis chips.

3. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

4. Ken Shiring

Ken Shiring Agent

George, you are being lied to by Philips. If there is a Mediamatics chip in there (which we are sure of), there cannot be a Sage deinterlacer. This is because the Mediamatics chip is an all-in-one deal, and (to my knowledge) has no CCIR-601 outputs on it. Therefore, it is not possible to connect the two. [​IMG]
    Just to be sure, there are often chips mounted on the underside of the PCBs. The Panasonic RP-56 has its FLI2200 on the underside. Make sure you check both sides of the board for completeness.

5. George Be

George Be Auditioning

Thanks, Ken and all,

Actually, my list of chips has a line that delineates the chips on the top side from the chips on the bottom. So I did check the bottom side. Again, this is not EVERY single chip on the board; but I'm assuming the Faroudja would be a biggie (i.e 50 pins or more). Also, I'm assuming that the only chips on the front-panel (display) board are for display and switches and so forth; they wouldn't stick something like the Faroudja up THERE, would they?

I THOUGHT it sounded a little fishy to have both a Mediamatics and a Faroudja chip in the same machine, but I figured, "heck, what do _I_ know? Maybe both of these guys make split chipsets or something, and they used a scaler from one and a deinterlacer from the other!" Now, I'm SURE it's a big fat lie!

I have fired off a sizzling email to a Senior VP at Philips, and told him to get the false advertising off his site or I'll take it up with the FTC! We'll se if that gets his attention. Who knows how many people have purchased this unit, thinking they were getting a Faroudja chip?

GB