What's new

How to hook up surround speakers (1 Viewer)

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I just received the new Monitor Audio SFX surround speakers and I am trying to figure out how to connect them.
They have 5 way posts on the back (4 posts on each speaker), which are connected in pairs for bi- or di-polar configuration. The binding posts are thick, so small spades do not fit around them. I got large IXOS207 angled spades from A4L: http://www.accessories4less.com/Amaz...D207&cc=&tpc=, they are big enough for the posts, but they are not the right shape to fit in. AR pins(http://www.accessories4less.com/Amaz...2D405&cc=&tpc=), which came with the wire fit into the internal holes in the binding posts, but they do not seem to be very securely attached (the contact os probably far from best) and they might interfere with the small wires connecting the pairs of binding posts for bi-/di-polar. It seems like the best options are really small banana plugs or bare wire. So my questions are:
1) Are there other, better options?
2) Where to get really short banana plugs for 16 GA wire?
3) If I use bare wire, should I solder the tips first? I am really new to soldering, should I get special soldering wire or just get the one from Radio Shack (a friend of mine has a soldering iron or smth like that).
Thanks!

Lev-S

Second Unit
I've always ran bare wire, although recently I've been noticed oxidization on the tips.

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Thanks for the tip! How about soldering the tips, would that help against oxidation/shorts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks