How to hook up subwoofer to amplifier with no sub-out?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BlaineG, May 9, 2005.

1. BlaineG

BlaineG Extra

First of all please forgive my stupid question, i have searched google and the forums with no luck. I have a marantz pm7200 amplifier hooked up to a marantz dv6500 dvd player, connected to 2 dynaudio audience 52se's. Anyways, a friend just gave me his canton as 22 subwoofer and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to hook the thing up to my amplifier. Do i need some type of extra equipment to hook up a sub to my system? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Blaine, does the sub have high level (speaker) input/outputs?

if it does you can connect the speaker output from the amp to the sub, then out from the sub to the speakers. this will also allow you to use the sub x-overs to blend in the speakers with your sub. If the sub doesnt have speaker outs, you will need a Y connector to split the speaker signal

if the sub doesnt have high-level I/O, you may need to connect the sub using the tape monitor out from the amp, but blending the sub in may be a tad difficult.

nice speakers, BTW

3. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Feisal beat me to the punch.

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

happens when I'm really bored at work LOL

5. BlaineG

BlaineG Extra

Thanks for the reply feisal i hooked it up like you suggested and it worked great. I originally thought that was how it worked but i was too afraid to hook it up like that for fear of damaging my speakers for some unknown reason. Also, am i going to get any degradation in sound quality by running my speakers through the sub? And finally i have no idea how to adjust the sub to the perfect settings so it is not too boomy, does anyone have any links to a guide on that? Thanks again for the help i really appreciate it!

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

as a rough guide you can set the sub x-over above where your speakers start tapering off at the bottom end (looks pretty low, from here. why do you need a subwoofer again? ok, you got it free... [​IMG] )

if you really want to fine tune it then a SPL meter will help to plot the FR curve so you know exactly where to put your xover