How to hook up multiple speakers???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have a Yamaha dspA1. I have prewiring for 10 or 12 speaker sets all over the house. How would I be able to hook up these other speaker sets through the receiver? I would like to be able to select one speaker set at a time (don't want them all running at the same time!)...do I need to get some kind of selector box? Where can I find something like this? Also, anyone know where this should be plugged into the receiver?
    Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

You'll have to buy an external speaker selector. I'd also recommend that you invest in a multi-channel amplifier that was made for the task. Your DSP-A1 was not made for the application and it is not sufficient to drive that many paris of speakers.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I agree that in some (most) instances a multi channel amp would be the best way to go. (Like we discussed previously, Bill). But in Bob's case where he will only be running one pair at a time, then I see no harm in using just a speaker selector box.
    Bob, you can get cheap speaker selector switches at Radioshack but I would be more inclined to lead you towards a company like Niles Audio. However, If you should decide that you would want multiple speaker pairs going at once then definitely heed Bill's advice. Best of luck!
    Dan Hine
    [Edited last by Dan Hine on September 04, 2001 at 08:09 AM]

4. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

Audio advisor sells Niles, Parasound, and a couple of other kinds of speaker selectors through their catalog and Web site. I believe that is the best solution to your problem, Most sell between $125 or so and up to $200.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Thank you very much gentlemen! Appreciate all the help.

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Dan,
    True, I was thinking of that ONE time when Bob has a party and decides to have background music in the entire house. The old Yamaha DSP-A1 goes snap...crackle...pop! [​IMG]

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Thanks for the thoughtfullness Bill....At a party hopefully I will be able to crank the Definitives loud enough to hear anywhere in the house [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Bob_A on September 04, 2001 at 10:40 AM]