1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How to hook up multiple speakers???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have a Yamaha dspA1. I have prewiring for 10 or 12 speaker sets all over the house. How would I be able to hook up these other speaker sets through the receiver? I would like to be able to select one speaker set at a time (don't want them all running at the same time!)...do I need to get some kind of selector box? Where can I find something like this? Also, anyone know where this should be plugged into the receiver?
    Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

You'll have to buy an external speaker selector. I'd also recommend that you invest in a multi-channel amplifier that was made for the task. Your DSP-A1 was not made for the application and it is not sufficient to drive that many paris of speakers.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I agree that in some (most) instances a multi channel amp would be the best way to go. (Like we discussed previously, Bill). But in Bob's case where he will only be running one pair at a time, then I see no harm in using just a speaker selector box.
    Bob, you can get cheap speaker selector switches at Radioshack but I would be more inclined to lead you towards a company like Niles Audio. However, If you should decide that you would want multiple speaker pairs going at once then definitely heed Bill's advice. Best of luck!
    Dan Hine
    [Edited last by Dan Hine on September 04, 2001 at 08:09 AM]

4. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

Audio advisor sells Niles, Parasound, and a couple of other kinds of speaker selectors through their catalog and Web site. I believe that is the best solution to your problem, Most sell between $125 or so and up to $200.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Thank you very much gentlemen! Appreciate all the help.

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Dan,
    True, I was thinking of that ONE time when Bob has a party and decides to have background music in the entire house. The old Yamaha DSP-A1 goes snap...crackle...pop! [​IMG]

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Thanks for the thoughtfullness Bill....At a party hopefully I will be able to crank the Definitives loud enough to hear anywhere in the house [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Bob_A on September 04, 2001 at 10:40 AM]