How to Hook up Home Theater without any Tv Inputs

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MichaelWB, Jan 7, 2004.

1. MichaelWB

MichaelWB Auditioning

Alrighty, I am totally new to this area and really need some help in figuring out how I can rig this up.Im sorry if this is long, and hopefully I can explain what i have done so far, and get some help on what else I need to do.
    Thanks for the help and patience with a newbie.
    The equipment I have:
    -RCA Home Theater RT2360
    Home Theatre System,
    300-Watts Total System Power
    Dolby Digital™ Surround Decoding
    Digital Sound Processing (DSP)
    Dolby® ProLogic
    DTS® Surround Decoding
    Digital AM/FM Tuning
    Preset EQ
    Front panel audio/video inputs
    Optical digital audio input
    Coaxial digital audio input
    S-video connection

-Cyber Home CH-DVD300 (pro scan)
    Coaxial Input
    Audio Out R/L
    Video
    S-Video
    Pro Scan (3 Inputs)

-Hitachi VTMX-4410A
    Ant IN
    Ant OUT
    Video In
    Video Out
    Audio In
    Audio Out
    Also has additional Audio and Video In on front of VCR

and Lastly the Tv which is my major problem

-Zenith A19A11D
    Only has One input, Ant IN

As of now I have I have my Cable run from the wall to the ANT IN in the vcr and connect ANT out to TV.
    That always worked fine, Now how can I run the cable so that I can auctually use the HT system and it not be a high-priced radio only.
    Also, I have run Cables from the Audio R/L and Video to the 3 connectors for the Dvd connection on the HT, I then ran 2 pairs of cables from the HT vcr hookup to the vcr, both in and out...if that makes sense.

When hooked up like this, Video for the dvd comes through when the HT menu is changed to dvd option. But no sound?
    Dvd player is set to bitstream under audio option.

Thanks for any help,
    Michael

2. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Agent

Michael,

you'll have to use your VCR as a go between for everything. Use the composite video connections for all items (s-video won't down convert to these unfortunately). You will have to always turn your vcr on to view anything other than cable tv. You'll need to plug the composite video outs from the receiver to the vcr video in and then make sure you switch the channel on the vcr to pull from the line in feed. I have my kids playroom set up this way, but add a playstation and nintendo and you'll need a video selector switch. (I have Terk 4 item switch).

One thing that may or may not give you trouble is trying to watch Macrovision encrypted DVD's running thru the VCR inputs. In theory it would be the same hook-up as copying them and therefore not work, but it may be okay. Good Luck.

If nothing else you'll have a great excuse to get a better tv.

3. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

As for video, there isn't really much you can do without getting a new TV. You are missing out on the video quality that DVD would be giving you. You'll have to live with what you've got until you can afford to upgrade your TV.

Audio is a different story. You are also not taking advantage of the DVD's audio capability. You have it hooked up with analog cables instead of a digital connection. That means no Dolby Digital 5.1 for you. The reason you are getting no sound, is becuase you have the DVD player set to output a digital stream (bitstream) but have no digital connection. To get the best audio you can from your system, you need to connect your DVD player to your receiver via either a digital optical cable (also called toslink) or a digital coaxial cable (looks like a fancy rca cable). I believe that on your DVD player you have listed it has a "coaxial input" but I'm willing to bet it is a Coaxial Output. If so, pick up a Digital Coaxial cable from your local electronics shop or radioshack. Connect the coaxial out of you dvd player to you coaxial IN on your receiver. At least this way you'll get Dolby Digital from your DVD's.

4. MichaelWB

MichaelWB Auditioning

Thanks to both for the help,
    New tv is needed i know, but not an option as a college student right now [​IMG]

One last question to address, with the tv i have right now, as i said it has NO audio in/out of any kind...
    Is there any way i will be able to hook the surround sound up for the tv(cable telvision)? Or will i only be able to use my HT for dvd, vcr? (havent even tested that yet), and the built in radio.
    Im also going to run my computer sound through this system, gotta find a cord to connect into the HT aux, and then connect to the sound card.

Thanks again,
    Michael

5. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Agent

Some cable boxes have audio line outputs, as well as a 5.1 Coax output. If you are not using a cable box, then the answer again would be via the VCR. Use the VCR as your TV tuner and use the Audio outs from the VCR to the receiver.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The Macrovision from the DVD->VCR->TV hookup will be impossible to watch. This can be cured by purchasing a ~$30 RF modulator from Radio Shack or other electronincs store. Route your VCR (coax) and DVD (composite video) through this and then the coax out from the RF modulator to the TV. VCR audio can then be routed to the receiver and the TV can be tuned by the VCR. This is the only way to get audio to the receiver with this tv, absent any audio outs on the cable box you might (or might not) have. MOST IMPORTANT - Definately get a digital audio cable (coax or optical, depends on your DVD player) for the DVD->receiver audio (see Tim K's post), you will be amazed at the difference between DD and pro-logic.

7. MichaelWB

MichaelWB Auditioning

Thanks,

[​IMG]
    Im seriously thinking of seeing what i can find in a decent tv >$100...but i might just have to go get the rf modulator for now.

Anyone got any tvs cheap? [​IMG] hehe..from briefly reading this forum it seems everyone likes to upgrade frequently.

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You don't have to throw away the TV quite yet. You still get a steadier (less jittery) picture from DVD compared with VHS, you will get better color, and the disks don't wear out compared with tape if you play things over and over or do a lot of still frames.

TV's in the $100 to $200 range won[t have picture quality much better than what you already have.

Do not buy a TV with just one video input, one S-video input, and one video or A/V selection on the remote. You will see a lot of those in K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Target, and some in the BB's, CC's, and GG's. You can only plug one thing into it, composite video or S-video, but not both (usually).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

9. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Agent

This is true, but on a tight budget it can still work. If you find yourself in this position (inexpensive TV with only 1 set of video in/s-video jack) you can spend another $30 and get a 4 channel video switcher that will allow 4 more items to run thru the same single set of audio ins.

10. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Though a better solution would be to use the reciever as a video switcher.

In the long run though, it would be MUCH better to wait a ittle longer, save a little more, and buy a tv that will last.