How to hook up both DVD-A and SACD with only one set of analog inputs?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott Stephens, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

i've got a Denon 3802 currently hooked up via the analog connections to a Sony SACD player. i'd really like to add a DVD-Audio player, but how will i hook this up simultaneously with only one set of inputs?

i know one solution is to get a combination SACD/DVD-Audio player, but if i were to opt to keep my current SACD player and add the DVD-Audio player, would this be possible? i was wondering if i could get a Y-connector (2 females/1 male), but didn't know if this would be possible and/or result in output of diminished quality.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Y connectors will not work well. You will need a switch. There are some pricey switches from Zektor (sp?), and Shawn Fogg, or the poor man's root via two Radio Shack or MCM A/V switch boxes.

They are pretty cheap (about $10 each) and while some claim to hear some sonic degradation, some pretty serious users (John Kotches from WSR magazine) have posted here that they used them with no ill effects.

I personally have used the MCM boxes, and had no problems to report.

These boxes are designed to switch more than one A/V source (a stereo pair + a composite video cable) between a single A/V input. You can buy two such boxes, and use one to switch 3 of the 6 cables, and the other to switch the other three from your two 6CH sources.

There may be some more detailed discussions here, try searching "switch box" or similar text.

BGL

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I've heard some members report no degradation with switch boxes, just like no loss of quality when switching HD through a receiver, but I'm kind of a freak about those kind of things so I just switch between my SACD & DVD-A player by swapping out cables.

It's not convenient, to be sure, and will have to suffice until I get a universal player or a preamp with two multi-channel inputs, but I don't have that gnawing feeling that I'm losing some quality which makes me sleep better at night.[​IMG]

DJ

4. Jigesh Patel

Jigesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

More expensive solutions include McCormac MAP-1 and Sony TA-P9000ES. Sony is discontinued but often can be found on audiogon for around $500.00. Sony's many ES receiver models have two sets of external inputs (6-ch and 8-ch).

I wish Outlaw ICBM had switching capability!

I agree - there's no perceptible (to my ears) degradation by going through two RadioShack selectors (Part # 15-1952).

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Dude, you are SERIOUSLY hard-core![​IMG]

BGL

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

When I used 2 players for multich, I used the Ratshack switches and heard no ill effects (granted my center and surrounds are not at the same quality level as my mains). I am more fussy for 2 channel, so always used distinct inputs per player for that.

Doug