What's new

How to hook up an equalizer ? (1 Viewer)

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible to hook up an equalizer for home theater on a Marantz SR-8300 ? It has pre-outs for all the channels which I suppose are used if you want to run outboard amps. I don't see any inputs except for tape monitors so how do you go about hooking an equalizer up ?? .... any help would be appreciated.
thx
Ron:frowning:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
In order to use a full 5.1 or 6.1 EQ on a receiver requires that it have Preamp Out and Power Amp Input jacks, which you do not have. Some receivers do have that feature, such as the Marantz SR96, and the NAD 762 for example, both of which I own. There are a few others as well.

You could install a 2 CH EQ in a Tape Monitor loop, but that would really be pointless.

Since you do have pre-outs for all main channels, you could install a HT EQ using those, but you would then need a 5 or 6 channel amp to take the output of the EQ. You would not be using the onboard amps any more.

Not really cost effective, methinks.

Do you have an EQ in mind? IMHO, the best bang for the buck with EQ is the sub channel. You could buy a Behringer Feedback destroyer (search the forum for BFD....lots to read), which you could use with your Marantz. It simply hooks between the preamp out to the sub, and the sub itself.

BGL

Ron_Phelps

Stunt Coordinator
Thx for the info - it is as I had feared. The high end is what I was trying to tame with the equalizer. Possibly a Rane ?
thx
Ron

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Rane makes very high quality gear, as does Audio Control. I personally have an Audio Control Bijou which does a fabulous job of dialing in the 5 main channels plus the sub. That said, it only covers up to 800 Hz on the L/C/R. Since my room is very well damped, and my loudspeakers are quite smooth (B&W 600 series 1), I don't at all feel that I am missing not being able to tweak the top octaves.

If you read The Sensible Sound, one of their writers, Howard Ferstler, has written extensively about EQs from both companies.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks