What's new

How to hook up (2) Xbox's to play Halo with 7 people? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Rice

Agent
I am curious on how to hook up two Xbox's so my friends (7)and I can play halo (two TV's)?

Another question...Is there an adapter for the Xbox to hook in the car (sigarette lighter)?

Jeff

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
You need a hub and two network cables. We have our neighbors come over every weekend for Xbox parties. I just roll our 36" bed room TV out to the living room (which has the 55" HDTV), and hook everything up. It is such a blast with 8 people!

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Can't you just use a system link cable between two Xboxen? I thought a hub had to be used for three or four, but for just two, all you need is a system link cable?

I've never done it, so maybe I'm wrong.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Tried it Dave, to no avail. Someone here even told me that all you need is the system link cable. Finally called tech support and they said you gotta get a hub.

Still, it's the best $50 I've spent lately.

Maybe a straigh through cat5 cable would work. All I have is twisted.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Sorry 'bout that, Jared. I had always heard that for two you only needed the system link cable, but I defer to your experience. :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I went out and got a system link cable. Even though it could be longer, I got it streched so it goes from my XBox to my roomies XBox. Thats all we have, is the system link cable (no hub) and it works fine.

Its a blast playing on 2 TVs!

JQ

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Well now I'm pissed.

The tech support guy specifically said that we HAD to have a hub, even if there's only two Xboxes, no matter what cable we used.

Dave, that's actually what I remember reading as well. Why market the "System Link Cable" if that alone doesn't do it?

Is there a difference between the system link cable and a standard cat5 network cable? I'm using generic cat5 twisted pair cables. Anybody fluent in network type stuff want to chime in?

Thanks

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
I brought my Xbox to a friend's house last week and we hooked them up and played Halo. For two XBox, you just need an ethernet "cross-over" cable...that's all the official system link cable is. Our setup consisted of 50' of standard ethernet cable, a coupler, and the ethernet cross-over cable, but that's only because the cross-over cable wasn't long enough on its own. If you can find a cross-over cable long enough, that is all you will need for two.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
What's the difference between a standard ethernet cable and a "crossover" cable? Will the system link cable also work with a hub?

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
What's the difference between a standard ethernet cable and a "crossover" cable? Will the system link cable also work with a hub?
The cross-over cable has the position of the wires switched at one end so that one persons "transmit" goes to the other person's "receive" and vice-versa. It is only used for direct connection between two machines without a hub. If you are using a hub, you would use standard (cat5?) ethernet cable.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
It looked to me like the "system link" cable is just a regular ethernet cable. Either way, hubs are pretty simple to find.
There's no Xbox-specific car adapter that I know of, but thers IS a general one that you can get that just has an AC plug on the other end. Usually listed as a Power Inverter or something similar, they'll usually run about 40 bucks. Did a quick search, and here's an example of what I mean, but you should be able to find em anywhere. They get a little warm after a while, but I've been using one for a laptop in the car for a few years now.

Jason Price

Second Unit
It looked to me like the "system link" cable is just a regular ethernet cable. Either way, hubs are pretty simple to find.
A standard ethernet cable and a crossover cable will physically look the same. As was mentioned earlier, the only difference is that on a crossover cable, the wires are reversed on one end.

To go Xbox -> Xbox, you MUST have a crossover cable. To go Xbox -> hub/switch -> Xbox, you MUST have standard ethernet cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks