How To Hook My Receiver/DVD Player Up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor K, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Trevor K

Trevor K Auditioning

OK, I bought a cheap receiver (Kenwood VR306) for $80CAD just to give me some better sound at home. I have 3 speaker (2 bookshelf and one center channel) right now, along with a DVD player (Toshiba BD1800).
    How should I hooking this up ideally? I assume I won't be able to get DTS surround sound (If I purchased more speakers of course) without buying a decoder?
    And should my next purchase be a sub, or two more rear speakers?
    Specs On Receiver
    Receiver
    Specs on DVD Player
    DVD Player

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

it seems like the reciever doesnt have a digital input; and the dvd player doesnt have a 6 chnnl out- too bad, they dont interface to well together.
    If your TV has Y/Pr/Pb inputs use those for video. If not S video. Go directly into TV unless you have more components (Save money on cables)

Analog out to the reciever are your only choice and Dolby Pro Logic is your only choice.
    I would get some rears before the sub, unless you are really unhappy about the base
    Good Luck
    Grant

3. Trevor K

Trevor K Auditioning

The TV part I got hooked up perfect, just using the S Video.

So I connect my receiver to the DVD player using a pair of RCA cables then? If I connect the receiver to my DVD player, will it still be able to be used if I am watching movies on Digital Cable?

Do movies even use Dolby Pro Logic anymore, or do they only use DTS?

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Hook the digital cable box into your reciever too.

DTS and DD are available if you have a digital input on your reciever. The other way to get them if you had a processor built in to your DVD and then used the Kenwood 6 channel input.
    I would say 10 to 25% of movies have DTS, most (if not all except for the superbits) have DD
    Dolby pro logic is matrixed into analog 2 channel ouputs. I have it in the bedroom and it doesnt sound bad