What's new

How To Hook My Receiver/DVD Player Up? (1 Viewer)

Trevor K

Auditioning
OK, I bought a cheap receiver (Kenwood VR306) for $80CAD just to give me some better sound at home. I have 3 speaker (2 bookshelf and one center channel) right now, along with a DVD player (Toshiba BD1800).
How should I hooking this up ideally? I assume I won't be able to get DTS surround sound (If I purchased more speakers of course) without buying a decoder?
And should my next purchase be a sub, or two more rear speakers?
Specs On Receiver
Receiver
Specs on DVD Player
DVD Player

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
it seems like the reciever doesnt have a digital input; and the dvd player doesnt have a 6 chnnl out- too bad, they dont interface to well together.
If your TV has Y/Pr/Pb inputs use those for video. If not S video. Go directly into TV unless you have more components (Save money on cables)

Analog out to the reciever are your only choice and Dolby Pro Logic is your only choice.
I would get some rears before the sub, unless you are really unhappy about the base
Good Luck
Grant

Trevor K

Auditioning
The TV part I got hooked up perfect, just using the S Video.

So I connect my receiver to the DVD player using a pair of RCA cables then? If I connect the receiver to my DVD player, will it still be able to be used if I am watching movies on Digital Cable?

Do movies even use Dolby Pro Logic anymore, or do they only use DTS?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hook the digital cable box into your reciever too.

DTS and DD are available if you have a digital input on your reciever. The other way to get them if you had a processor built in to your DVD and then used the Kenwood 6 channel input.
I would say 10 to 25% of movies have DTS, most (if not all except for the superbits) have DD
Dolby pro logic is matrixed into analog 2 channel ouputs. I have it in the bedroom and it doesnt sound bad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks