What's new

How to go through a wall - advice wanted. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've got a wall in my new house, where the TV is.

That's it.

What I need to go through that wall today is three speaker cables and one S-Video.

That RPTV is 8 years old. When it dies, it will be replaced with a front projector. When that happens this wall will have to be completely blank with only speakers and a screen.

I'm thinking of putting a (double?) outlet box in next to the outlet there, with three sets of speakers and a hole for the S-video. Problem is that when I upgrade to a front projector, I'd rather have three single gang boxes, each right behind a speaker. Guess I should just do that now with a single box in the center with holed for one speaker and S-Video.

Here's what I've put in the ceiling for the as yet not mounted rears, from Parts Express.

Advice please???????

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Right now I'm planning on a single speaker connector like that one there behind each of the left and right speakers. In the middle there will be a connector with a L/R speaker connector and an S-Video cable. All this stuff is avaialable at Parts Express.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Plan ahead. Install component video as well so that when you make that jump to front projection, you are not limited by the s-video. At least make the run and leave it behind a blank plate where it can be accessed when you need it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've already planned for component for a front projector some day. I'll never need it in the wall. that would go through the ceiling, I've already got conduit set up.

Johnny Mo

Agent
I would go with the 3 single gang boxes and run additional speaker wire from the boxes to the "current" speaker location...it may not be great to look at right now, but it still shouldn't be too bad. I'm guessing you'd do a 80-100" screen, vs a 45-50" RPTV. You are looking at placing your gang boxes at approx 10" or so beyond where your speakers are currently positioned, not the end of the world. As for the center with the additional hole you'd need for the s-video, you can buy a blank wall plate and just pop holes in it for the temporary solution, and save the original wallplate cover for the permanent center channel using the front projector. If you have access to the floor you may want to consider a recessed/motorized/spring loaded "trap-door" to house your center channel that opens when "theater" is on - then you won't need the middle gang box and it'll run up thru the floor. (Not that I've given any of this any thought for my own build plans) :wink:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Do you have access to the back of this wall? Why not just punch a hole in the wall for the speaker wire, S Video, etc. instead of bothering with a gang box? That way when you are ready to move everything all you would have to do is mud over the whole in the wall and then paint it. You would never know they were there.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Parker,

Good plan, that's what I'll do. I can get to the back of the wall; it's a storage room behind there. Eventually that's where my front projector will be, and I'll want professional looking speaker connectors instead of holes in the wall for my front speakers. Until then, I'll be happy with just holes and cables going through them.

Getting settled is going excruciatingly slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks