What's new

how to get war service records? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
First off, I'm talking Canadian here.

Grandpa killed himself on my birthday twenty years before I was born so I never really knew much about him. My mom and uncle had a problem with their mother's second husband and I never really knew that side of the family. A few weeks ago the family farm was sold and some relative of mine found an old trunk with some (all that remain) of his things in it. Included are his navy uniform from the war. Nobody seems to know anything, not even what theater he served in. How do I find out? I assume that Veterans Affairs would be the first place to look. Anywhere else?

jeremy

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
In America, there is an organization called the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) that can assist with these type of requests. I don't know if there is a Canadian equivalent.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
My father died under very strange circumstances when I was 1 yo.
I found his records in more than 1 spot. His medical records were in 1 place, National guard in another, regular army in another place...you have to specifical write to these to get them.
Our countries are similiar in many ways, you might have the same problems
good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks