how to get the best picture?

Steve Hill

Agent
if all my equipment is non-hd and i'm going to get a hdtv soon, what is the best way to get the best picture possible? it has to be fairly economical or i would just buy hd equipment, which i can't really afford for awhile since all my money will go to the tv.

Steve Hill

Agent
i guess what i'm asking is, i won't be able to afford hd satellite for awhile. so i was thinking would a line doubler make a big differance? or is there another way to improve a standard definition sat/ld player/dvd? i just want to get the best quality with what i have until i can take the hit and buy a hd satellite dvr and dvd player. but i still would use whatever improvement choice i make, 'cause of the ld player.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The least expensive way would be to purchase an Avia tune up type disk. Next up the food chain would be something along the lines of an Iscan unit. Personally, I'd go with the former as it will still come in handy when you decide to upgrade.

Mort

marcIs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
marc turcotte
If you were to get a new tv it would have hdmi on it. There are a lot of new Amps on the market that will upconvert siginals going in and ther not a killer on the old pocket, plus you would also get a NEW AMP.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Also, consider an upconverting DVD player. Mine is a Sony DVP-NC85H 5-disk changer connected to my TV via HDMI and it does a great job with SD-DVD. You can get one at Crutchfield (and other places, I'm sure) for about $150.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I ahve a related question, so I thought I'd ask it in this thread. Looking at some of the TVs in BJs that appear to be showing non-HD source, the picture looks decidedly unimpressive. Looking at TVs with HD-source in Myer Emco looked very impressive yesterday. Then I saw one showing a non-HD DVD and it looked really bad until I was standing what I felt was quite far away. The person there said the problem was the TV needed a "line conditioner."

Anway, I am wondering whether going into HD is a good idea or not if I am going to be using mostly SD source. Will the picture in general looks worse than on by SD set I'm watching on at the present time? Will some upconversion DVD player make it look just as good or better? What about the "enhanced for widescreen" feature of DVDs - does that help matters? What about regular cable or satellite signals? How bad will they look? I hate if I went off and spent all this money for a TV set that makes everything look worse than it does already.

Are there any good pages that discuss this type of thing?

Thanks,

Neil

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akhenax