How to get the best out of phantom center setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Topher, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I am considering running a phantom center arrangement for the time being (lack of money for good center channel, already have really good main speakers) and would like to know how to get the best performance out of the setup. Considering everything from receiver setup to speaker placement. I have a pretty good stereo image right now, my speakers are equadistant from each other and myself (forming a perfect triangle). I don't have them towed in or out, but I am open to any suggestions you guys would bestow upon me. Please don't try to sway me the way of a center channel though, I don't have the ability to purchase one for a while and am only looking for suggestions to get the best out of a phantom setup in the meantime. Thanks to all in advance!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You'll likely get a better center image with some toe-in (experiment), and with an isoceles triangle, with the speakers slightly closer to each other than to you. This will, however, be at the cost of a slightly smaller soundstage, but your overall imaging should be better.