how to get started tracing down a hum in old H/K receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter_anderson, Jan 29, 2002.

1. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought the H/K AVR 320, so my old H/K AVR 20II is no longer in use. Over the years, the AVR 20II acquired a constant white noise, audible regardless of volume, both in the speakers and especially in the headphone jack. With the speakers, it is generally not noticeable after 3.5 meters, but I can't stand to plug headphones into it anymore. The noise is kind of a hybrid between white noise and a really high-pitched (like >15,000Hz) hum.

I have no fear of the soldering iron or of killing the unit.

Somebody suggested to me that the transformer needs to be replaced with a higher quality unit. I think it might need some kind of beefy ground. What do you all think?

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

hello peter,

you wouldnt happen to have the schematics for it would you?probably not, huh? do you have any experience in signal tracing? is the noise coming from both L+R sides? since the noise is coming from the headphone jack too, i think we can rule out the power amp stage/s. you wouldnt have access to an oscilloscope would ya?

3. peter_anderson

noise comes from both sides, but the high stuff is only on the left (!). if i set the balance to right, all of the noise from the left disappears completely, and vice versa. i have the "ground" connection on the back connected to a coax grounding block which is in turn connected to the building ground via some coax. this connection makes no difference, though. i don't know exactly what 60Hz hum sounds like (except that it is very low) but i am pretty sure if it is there, it is being beaten out by the hissing.

no schematics or oscilloscope.

i wish somebody else with one of these older models could hear what i was hearing and let me know if it is normal; i honestly can't remember if it was this bad when it was new (5 years ago).

4. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Replace the transformer??? No, that isnt the problem. Most likely it is a leaky capacitor or a marginal transistor. Electrolytics are known to dry out and cause problems with age (but 5 years isnt really that old), and I bet that unit is full of electrolytics! A scope would be the best way to track it down. By the way you describe the effects of the balance control, I can tell you the noise originates before the balance control (somewhere early in the preamp stages). Other than that, I cant be of any use.

5. peter_anderson

no, that is great help! i don't think this is a good time to shell out for a good oscilloscope, so maybe this project isn't worth the time and money.

thanks anyway!