How To Get "Screen Shots"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tomlin, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

If I have a DVD-ROM drive on my computer, is there a way to capture a screen shot from a movie using only the computer?

If so, how?

Thanks!

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Usually the low end DVD viewing software that comes with the computer or video card won't allow this. I suggest getting PowerDVD from Cyberlink. It allows this very easily.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...screen+capture
    [​IMG]
    Some of the people there said that you can use any paint program that takes captures, but thats not true. DVD video is 'overlaid' on a black screen thats decoded in real time displaying it on the blue screen. When you take the cap, you ojnly get the black background, not the video. (like if you took a picture of a bluescreen, you'd see blue, rather than the digitally placed image thats shown on the TV.

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Thanks for the link Nick.

Actually, my computer came pre-loaded with PowerDVD Andrew, so perhaps I am in luck?

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

6. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    If you have PowerDVD, open it and right click the screen while a DVD is playing. Select 'Configuration' from the popup menu that appears, then the 'Capture' tab. From here you can choose where the screen capture is stored.

I usually select 'Capture to File' and set up a new folder for the images on my desktop or 'Capture to Clipboard'. Set it to 'Capture to Clipboard' for now. Click OK.

To take a screen shot press 'C' on your keyboard while the disc is playing. Now open Paint or whatever software you have and paste the screen capture (Ctrl-V). Adjust the size and save as a JPEG or similar. I use Photoshop to adjust the image, but there are many others you could use instead.

Adam

7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Well, I tried your method Adam, but there is no tab saying "capture". I have gone through the other menus as well, to no avail.
    Perhaps my PowerDVD version (for Vaio) doesnt have the screen capture feature? [​IMG]

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Rob, here is the capture frame tab in Power DVD XP. Just click it while on the frame you want to capture and it will save as a Bitmap to the location you specify.
    [​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

rob -

like adam said, just press the "c" key on your keyboard when you want to take the screen capture.

you have to tell powerdvd what to do with the screen capture. it can either save it to your clipboard, or it can create a file that you can open and edit later.

i do it all the time...totally easy.

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Thanks for the help guys, but its definitely a no go!
    My version of PowerDVD that came preloaded with my Sony Vaio does NOT have screen capture capability! [​IMG]
    The symbol on my version (which does say XP 4.0) where the camera is on your screen, Travis, is a Movie Camera. Clicking on it only changes the camera angle when that feature is available on the DVD!
    I wonder if I can upgrade fairly cheaply to get the screen capture capability?

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thanks for the links and tips, I only just tried this program for myself and it works like a charm as well.

12. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Well, rub a little salt into the wounds there Neil!
    I am totally bummed about not being able to do this! [​IMG]

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Rob, I would upgrade because it sure is a nice feature to have if you need it. I glanced quickly at the upgrade costs. It looks as if there are various upgrades starting from us$19.99 or something like that. I had trouble playing Spiderman on my home PC but it plays ok on my laptop, which did not have the screen-grabbing player, so I downloaded powerdvd onto the laptop (free trial version) so I may be looking to upgrade as well.

14. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

Hi there,

I have Power DVD also, and I can capture images. I also have WinDVD4 which does captures. My question is, can I change the settings somewhere so my captures will be a higher resolution than 72 dpi? That may look good on the screen, but it prints out like crap.

Thanks!

Jimmy!