How to get rid of WinXP login screen?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Oct 5, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I've been getting a login screen at startup for the past couple of weeks, and I think it's because I installed Visual Studio .NET. However, I uninstalled it yesterday because I wasn't using it and to see if the login screen would go away. It wouldn't. I tried changing the login settings in User Accounts (in Control Panel), but it only lets me choose between two options, both of which require me to log in. I am the only person who uses my computer, so having to log in is a hassle I don't want to deal with. Any suggestions?

2. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

does this help?

1) start menu > settings > control panel > user accounts

2) go to the advanced tab

3) turn off the check box that says "secure logon: require users to press ctrl+alt+delete"
    ---------
    edit:

after re-reading your post i realize it's *possible* you might have tried this already.

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

The more complex way is to change a registry setting.

The easier way is to go to Microsoft's site and download the XP powertoy TweakUI. It will have that option and many others in a nice little GUI tool.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I forgot about TweakUI, even though it was already on my computer and I have used it before. It solved my problem. Thanks!

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Alright, TweakUI is "forgetting" that I don't want to use the login screen, so I see it 1 out of 3 times when I reboot. How can I get rid of the screen by editing the registry?

6. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    ThomasC:

Here's what I use on my XP install...

1. Select Run from the Start Menu, type "control userpasswords2", and click Ok.
    2. Turn off the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option", and click Ok.

7. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Aaron's way should work. You'll probably need to put in which account name you want it to log in as. "control userpasswords2" is one of the many applets that MS buried in XP. I'm assuming that you're also the computer admin (not a good idea in principle). You need to be to access that applet.

I hope those words don't come back to haunt you. [​IMG]

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I have the same issue as ThomasC so I tried the control userpasswords2 and my computer would not boot. So, I did a system restore and I am now back where I started.

No damage done, but I guess when Dell said I had to do a complete reinstall of XP to get rid of the log on, they were right.

9. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I believe you can do it by setting a group policy

go start menu ----->run---> type gpedit.msc and enable the one that says disable login screen.

it should be under the section administrative templates in computer configuration.

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thanks, everybody. I went with Aaron's way and I'll see how it goes.

Because I can have unlimited power to screw my computer up?

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Well, there's that... [​IMG]

But also because any virus, piece of spyware or other malware that you inadvertently run while logged in also has unlimited power to screw up your system. A lot fewer programs would install themselves on people's computers without their permission if more folks routinely logged in under limited user accounts and only logged in as administrators when they need to install software or the like.

Regards,

Joe

12. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    In summary, if you REALLY know what you're doing, and properly lock down the obvious security holes -- Admin might be ok. If you wan't to be safe(r), log in as a normal user.

If you use Internet Explorer or Outlook/Outlook Express, don't even consider being Admin. Better yet, find another browser/e-mail combination, because you WILL get spyware or a virus in due time. [​IMG]

I've always been Admin, and haven't had a virus or spyware for well over a year. But I've got constantly up-to-date A/V protection, a hardware firewall, and will only use Firefox and Thunderbird/G-mail.

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Obvious security holes being? Constant antivirus protection and spyware sweeping are on my list. Viruses and spyware haven't been a problem for me in a long, long time. As far as a firewall goes, I just use what Windows gives me, and I don't know how much that really helps.

14. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    The most obvious protection would be to have some sort of firewall installed (either software or hardware-based). There are countless holes in which unscrupulous people can hack into your OS. A firewall will stop most of these attacks.

As long as you have a routine of spyware scanning and A/V protection, you should be ok.

I still recommend against using Internet Explorer or Outlook/Outlook Express -- but some people prefer using those programs.

15. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Ditto what everyone said above...

16. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

When I first tried what Aaron suggested it froze my computer, but now it seems to be working fine and I don't have to log on.

Thanks to Aaron