How to get rid of Halos on RPTV????

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon_Gregory, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Jan 10, 2004
    When my overhead light, and my kitchen light is on, I get a light halo on the screen when it is black. The halo is there even with the tv off. Does this have something to do with light reflecting off the screen a certain way. The halo moves depending on which light I have on. For example the halo is at the top of the screen when the overhead light is on and more in the middle when the kitchen light is on. The kitchen light is farther away. My question is, is there any way to get rid of this other than turning out the lights? I do not notice it when the screen has a picture on it, but it is pretty annoying when changing channels etc...
  2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Jul 5, 2001
    From the way you are describing your problem, it sounds like it is old-fashioned glare that's causing the problem. Is this right, or am I oversimplifying things?
    Do you have a rear projection TV or a direct view? The "glare screen" is removable on some rear projection TV's, although it leaves the lenticular screen exposed. The lenticular is suseptible to scratches and is expensive to replace, so you have to decide whether it's worth it to you to remove it.
  3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    The only way to get rid of the reflection is to 1) Remove the protective screen (see Chad B's response) or 2) turn off the light(s). I'd opt for option 2 during critcal viewing.
  4. I'm not a HT guru, but my room lights (small lamps) sit on my speakers directly to the left and right of my monitor.

As you've noted, light coming from behind you is not going to work.

Since turning off the lights isn't an option, I assume other family members are using the kitchen while you are viewing.

You might consider installing a track-based sliding partition from the ceiling to separate the rooms.

That way you could block most of the light & glare (and some sound, going both ways).

This might work for everybody and the partition could be retracted when not in use.