How to get rid of chroma noise on ld player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Cameron, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

I recently got an ld player off ebay(Pioneer V2200) and the picture has what I think is chroma noise(little lines all over the screen). The only thing that did not have this was the 2nd disc of "Back To The Future Part 3" which was CAV. How do I get rid of this? It really ruins the picture.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What you are seeing is not chroma noise, but I think some sort of scan line problem. Chroma noise presents itself as rainbow colored noise on things like a chain link fence, or someone's plaid shirt, basically where there are alot of intersecting lines.
    I suppose you can get your player retrofitted with an s-video output, if it doesn't already have one. I would look into that.
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

3. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Does the noise look like short little white lines which appear at random locations all over the picture? If so, you are likely seeing "laser rot" a disk deterioration which plagued LD. This is an irreversible deterioration of the recording layer which occurs on LD. It probably also happens on CD and DVD but is less noticable due to the digital formats having error correction. The analog LD shows the deterioration as little white lines that are like a storm of snow on the screen. Even with very good storage conditions, I was seeing a rate of about 1% of discs per year getting laser rot. Initially, the disc would show just a little, then it would get more and more pervasive. Inspection of the disc surface shows no visible scratches or other changes. Scratches manifest themselves on screen as a more periodic disturbance.
    Chroma noise isn't cross color - the appearance of color in fine luma detail. It is an inherent problem with color phase stability in the LD recording method. You can see it as a girttiness or variablility in color in solid colored image regions. It is particularly easy to see in large red patches.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    Ovation Software, The Calibration Tool Source

4. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

If these lines look like a diagonal pattern that moves then it is misalignment of the laser (should cost between $50 and $75 to fix). If it isn't that, then I don't know [​IMG].

5. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    That is the kind of problem my player is having. The only laserdisc that did not have that problem was the CAV 2nd disc of Back To The Future 3. I wonder why it has no problem with CAV. It also skips on movies. The ebay seller claims it worked fine when she had it and it must have been damaged in shipping, I doubt it got damaged in shipping.