How to get rid of an old, battered, dirty futon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I am in the midst of redoing my living room to make it more home theater-friendly. Problem is, I have this big, dirty, stained, ugly futon I need to purge. It would just fit inside the apartment building's dumpster, but the manager insists it must be broken down into small pieces.

Well, I can't do that. Don't have the means.

FYI, the futon was given to me by a neighbor in the apartment building. I was an easy out for him. At the time, I thought, hell, why not?

Now I know.

Quite frankly, this is an awful, awful piece of furniture. Even so, is it beneath Goodwill's dignity to pick something like this up?

Also, I don't have any vehicular capacity with which to haul this awful thing to a dump.

Still, call Goodwill or what?

Thanks!

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'd call Goodwill, or maybe there are homeless shelters that could use it - after all, a bed is better than the sidewalk.

3. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

Are you near a body of water? Maybe you can give your futon a Viking funeral... Just don't get caught! [​IMG]

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Sounds better than my couch. I'll take it.

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Sounds exactly like my "couch." [​IMG]
    Your mistake was asking the landlord about it. You should have just rolled it up and anonymously chucked it into the dumpster.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I would make some calls to local charity organizations. Some do make pick-ups and I'm sure they would take it off your hands.

Bruce

7. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Buy a sledgehammer.

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Where I live all you would have to do is set it out on the curb and poof! two hours later it's gone...

9. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I plan on getting rid of an old love seat that has been sitting in my basement unused for the past 7 years using what this thread would consider, "The Tim Hoover Method." The only thing you have to be sure of is that it is visible from the street.

10. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

I recently got rid of an old recliner via the "Tim Hoover Method". (Have we coined a new phrase here?) THe recliner was actually broken, it worked fine as a regular chair, but you couldn't operate the footrest without kicking the chair around the room a bit. It was also sort of dirty and clawed up by my cats. I was just going to haul it to the dump, but for the heck of it I put it out by the sidewalk one night with a free sign on it. The next morning I woke up and it was gone. People love getting free stuff, it doesn't really matter what it is.
    One mans trash and all that jazz...
    edit: Perhaps Tim needs to change his signature to:
    90% of everything is crap, but if you leave it on the curb, someone will take it off your hands for you. [​IMG]

11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Nice suggestion, Matt!

My cousin has practically furnished his entire home this way. He's always raving about the new chair or table that he found in the street...

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, the curb is always an alternative. It's amazing what people will take home with them.

13. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

You could always donate it to a poor college student. My couch is actually an old van seat. Go figure.

14. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thanks for the link, Chris.
    Yes, it's called the Pacific Ocean... [​IMG]
    Can't just "roll" this thing up; the wooden frame is the problem. And I don't have a hacksaw (nor, in my present have-a-bad-cold state, the energy).
    I doubt the manager would let me dump this piece by the curb, but I'll ask. Most likely, I'll call Goodwill.

16. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Put a sign on it that says "For Sale $50.00 -- Inquire Within."

It'll vanish within minutes. Even faster than it would have with a sign reading "Free," or no sign at all.

17. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Might want to give the Salvation Army a call, if they're around you. At least here in New Jersey, Goodwill and the Salvation Army will come and pick up nearly anything at no charge.

18. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Jack, usually in your city utilities, you are allowed two side pick-ups by refuse. This is in addition to normal weekly pickups. You may have a problem though if your utilities are paid for by the owner/landlord.
    Just a side note, it's $15 for them to do an abnormal pickup, added to your bill. This is the way it works here, not sure of L.A proper.

19. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

A) Wait till JUST before your dumpster is emptied and push it in then - when management isn't looking.

B) Rent a truck (UHaul has trucks for < $20 per day local) and haul it away yourself.