How to get Reference bass in large area?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Morgan, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    My room is 4600cubic ft.Currently I have a Paradigm Servo15a and a SVS 20-39cs.I have Von Schweikert Audio speakers all around.The SVS is driven with 300watts at 4 ohms.The experts have told me I need to corner load which I will do and that I should have 2 subs that are alike due to different characteristics of different subs. This would help in getting flat responses and Eq'ing the subs.I have a BFD and also ETF software.My thoughts are, sell the SVS and get another Servo, or sell the Paradigm and buy another SVS. Recently, I have been thinking about a Talon Audio Roc, used of course.This is my dilemma. Please help me make a decision because the Roc won't be around long.

Merry Xmas

Steve

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Steve,

i think you're dreaming if you think a single *roc* is going to give you more low bass than your current pair of subs.

A HGS18 or two might be considered...and a dual CS_U/S1000 package too maybe.

I think one of the new CS+/S1000 packages would get you about there too,

TV

3. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

Some people on this board run two different subs,in the examples that were stated they used one sub for the 80Hz to 50Hz range and the other for 50Hz to below 20Hz range and claim the results are great.Since you are fortunate enough to have two you can experiment.

I prefer having one great sub myself (M&K MX 350 THX MkII)will they let you audition the Talon in your setup to see if it will provide the sound your seeking,if so that could clear things up.

4. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Jimmy, no I can't audition the Roc.Tom, I don't think the dual CSultras are in my budget but the dual CS+ package is.Would you reccomend the 20-39cs or the 16-46 for my crazy a*s room? I do like the Servo but I also like the 20-39cs. So far the Servo out performs the the 20-39cs when they are put in the same position and spl readings are taken.The price/performance ratio is duly noted.I have a BFD so equalizing is no problem.I am leaving for the holidays for a week so I will think about your feedback to my question.BTW how do 2 of the CS+'s sound in a large room?

Merry Xmas to SVS &HT members

Steve Morgan

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I don't suppose you DIY at all? That's the cheapest/surest route to true reference levels.