how to get rebates/freebies withOUT receipts?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Ken Horowitz, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Ken Horowitz

Ken Horowitz Agent

I'd like to take advantage of the Warners offer (buy two 2-disc sets, get one free), by using a couple of titles I just received as gifts. Obviously, I'm not going to ask my friends for their receipts.

Is there any way around this? Or must I actually buy them myself, rather than merely receive them as gifts?

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Since they request receipts, it looks like you're SOL.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'd just ask your friends for the reciepts, and tell them why. It's not really that big of a deal.

Most stores offer "Gift Receipts" for this very purpose (although I'm not sure whether gift receipts that don't show the actual purchase price would be valid for mail-in offers).

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'd just ask your friends for the reciepts, and tell them why. It's not really that big of a deal.
    It could come across as rather obnoxious.

What, my gift wasn't enough for you? You want another DVD?

I'd just be happy with what you got. If you want to take advantage of such offers, make the purchases yourself.

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, I understand the position. I got Tron for Christmas (An early christmas present back at Thanksgiving). Later on, I picked up Pirates and realised that with Finding Nemo, I had enough for their free DVD deal. I asked my friend for the receipt, but she didn't end up having it. I ended up just picking up Holes to take advantage of the deal...

Jason

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Quote:
    What, my gift wasn't enough for you? You want another DVD?

Now that's obnoxious. Doesn't sound like the kind of friend I'd want to have.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'd argue that it's free so why would they complain. If they are close enough that you get a gift they shouldn't be upset if you tell them "Hey, thanks for the DVD. Did you realize that I can get a free dvd with the DVDs I got for Christmas" ...Them "Oh really?" You "Yeah only problem is I need the receipt, can I grab it off you?? It's not a big deal, but I might as well take advantage of the offer!"

Brent

8. Chris Pags

Chris Pags Auditioning

If you ask them for the receipt you run the risk of looking ungracious. It would be a shame to have it go unused, but trying to double up on a gift seems a bit callous. Why not give them the rebate form and tell them to pick out something for themselves? If they're not interested in it they'll probably offer to give you the receipt. If they don't, then you can ask for the receipt without having to worry about seeming rude since your first thought was to help them out. Everybody wins.

9. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

Or maybe that person decided to get a couple of warner dvd's as gifts for friends, and in turn uses the recept for a free dvd for him/herself.......[​IMG]

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Or maybe that person decided to get a couple of warner dvd's as gifts for friends, and in turn uses the recept for a free dvd for him/herself.......
    That person would still have to ask the gift recipients for their POP tabs from inside the cases.

Hey, mind if I rip a piece off your gift? I only bought you these titles so I could then send away for an extra free disc and recoup some of the money spent on your gifts.

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, I have done rebates and offers using the recipt for gifts, but using the POPs from my DVDs...

Jason

12. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

malcom, have you seen anger management yet?
    you don't even have a clue
    btw, the new warner promotion just asks for the receipt(s)

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    malcom, have you seen anger management yet?
    Sorry, I don't waste my time or money on Adam Sandler.

you don't even have a clue
    I have enough of a clue to see that many people apparently can't be satisfied with either the receiving of or the giving of a gift without looking to see what else they might be able to wrangle in addition to the item presented or received.

A gift is a gift. It ends with the giving or receiving. To buy or receive a gift, then invoke a desire to use it as a springboard to obtain additional merchandise seems in terribly poor taste.

But, I guess that's just me.

14. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    I received a copy of YANKEE DOODLE DANDY for Christmas and my brother gave me a gift receipt in case I already had it. The gift receipt was from Tower. I was afraid to submit it for the Buy 2 Get 1 Free Offer because it didn't have a price listed and the instructions said to circle the price paid on the reciept. So I took the disc back to Tower, and explained that I needed a receipt with a price for a rebate. They accepted the disc as a return and then rang it up as a new sale so I got my receipt with the price that I can submit for the offer. No cash ever exchanged hands and they gave me no problems whatsoever.

So you might try this method with your gift DVDs. Take them to a retailer (you might even bring along a copy of the offer), ask them nicely and see if they'll accomidate you. The worst they can say is no.

Malcom, I don't understand your reluctance to use a gift DVD for a freebie. If I gave someone a DVD as a present and they said to me "Hey, thanks for the DVD. You probably didn't realize it, but there was an offer that allowed me to get a second DVD free by submitting a proof of purchase from your gift. So instead of giving me one great DVD, you actually gave me two." I would feel even more gratified and assured that I had made the right choice for a gift in the first place.

But, I guess that's just me.