How to get power to a fan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_VVVV, May 29, 2002.

1. Rob_VVVV

Rob_VVVV Auditioning

First off - Just want to say thanks for all the help and Info I got from this forum - its been a life saver and has made my life a lot easier.
    Last weekend, I finally got around to rewiring my LR so I can put all my components in the hall closet and out of the way of little fingers that love to push buttons [​IMG] .
    The closet backs up to the garage so I would like to put 1 or 2 small fans in there for cirulation and vent them to the outside.
    Looking for info - a few ppl recommened fans from Action Electronics :
    http://www.action-electronics.com/fans.htm
    (part number 108X120VS3ST)
    So I picked up 2 of these. My plan is to mount them in the back of the closet - and have them powered by my receiver so whenever that is on - the fans will be running.
    So a few questions I have - should the fans be blowing the air into the closet or out of the closet or one each way?
    1 fan may actually suffice - so if only 1 is used - which way should it go?
    Next - I thought the fans came w/ a standard AC plug that you can just plug into the receiver - instead - there are 2 leads comming off the fan which I assume are for a plug to be attached (they came w/ no directions at all- just the fans) Is there a standard adapter that I can purchase to give me the plug - or so I just need make one myself?
    Thanks for any help - once I get everything sorted out - Ill post some pics.

2. Rob_VVVV

Rob_VVVV Auditioning

Ok - so Im a moron :b - I just checked out the fan page again and found the link to fan cords - so scratch that question =)

Still wondering if I should blow air in or blow it out.

Thanks

-Rob

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rob,

Many amplifiers and other heat-generating components have a natural “convection” cooling system, where hot air rising out of the vents in the top panel simultaneously pulls in cool air through the vents in the bottom panel. It makes sense that keeping temperatures down in an enclosed equipment rack should take a similar approach.

Cooling fans are not supposed to “cool” equipment. They are should exhaust heat out of the equipment rack. Since hot air rises, you want to put the fans at the top of the closet. If possible, make sure fresh air enters at the bottom of the closet – then there is no need for a push-pull configuration. The natural convection effect of cool air entering from below as hot air rises will be enhanced by an exhuast fan and will guarantee even airflow and distribution in the closet.

A forced air scheme (blowing air into the rack) is not a good approach unless the system is carefully engineered and executed. If not, in-rack turbulence will result in “dead pockets” as well as some areas that are cooled better than others. In addition, forcing cool air across the top of a convection-cooled component could actually prevent hot internal air from rising out of the component and increase internal temperatures – not good.

Something else to keep in mind: Any type of enhanced cooling system makes dust an issue, so you might want to make sure your air inlet has a filter.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt