How to get OTA HD?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisChap, Jan 22, 2004.

1. ChrisChap

ChrisChap Stunt Coordinator

I have a projector that will display downconverted HDTV, and we have an over-the-air HD CBS affiliate here in town. What do I need to get the signal displayed on my projector for the Super Bowl?

I assume I need some sort of tuner, and an antenna. Is there any product that is both an antenna and a tuner? How much money would I have to spend to get this done?

Thanks for any input and I apologize if this has been discussed alot. I did not see it on the first few pages and my connection is too slow to search today.

2. John S

John S Producer

Well you have it.. OTA ATSC Tuner and an Antenna....

There may be some combo deals with them paird'd up. But most go get an antenna. If you have some old antenna's lay'n around they may work just fine too.

I use an old indoor Radio Shack Powered / Amplified UHF/VHF, I have had lay'n around for years and never through out. I am able to get all 6 Denver HDTV OTA offerings with it.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Start with AntennaWeb to find the size/type antenna you will need. It will give you approximate pointing directions for the antenna also. Stay away from the Terk brand antennas. They are the Bose of the antenna world. Radio Shack, Wingard, Channel Master and a few others are all good brands.

Your basic OTA ATSC tuner will cost between $250 and $350. I've seen a Samsung model at Sam's Club for $289.

-Robert

4. John S

John S Producer

Or even venture out to a Brick and Mortor store, in the Denver area they all seem to have Open Box tuners for around $200 and under. The most common reason for having open box, seems to be people that bought the wrong one for their needs.

5. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering the same thing. I want to be able to watch the Super Bowl in HD and i'm not sure exactly what I need. I've got a GW III. Why do so many people return these tuners for having the "wrong one"? Do I need a specific tuner for my tv?

I'm determined to get the Superbowl in HD. [​IMG] I live near Chicago so i'm pretty confident the signal shouldn't be a problem.

Danny

6. Jim-L

Jim-L Auditioning

Danny,

Even though you live near Chicago, you may still have a problem. It depends where exactly you live. The local CBS station has the hardest signal to pickup, unless you live south or southwest of the city.

Don't cheapen out on the antenna. I live in the North Suburbs and went with a mid-level antenna. The smaller one did not work that well and would cut out.

7. ChrisChap

ChrisChap Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input, guys.

I think I will hold off. $200+ is a little steep for 1 HD channel, and it's really just for the Super Bowl.

Does anyone know if DirecTV or Dish have any plans to offer HD broadcast networks? CBS is the only network we have period, so we will never get any other OTA HD programming here.

8. John S

John S Producer

There are different boxes needed for Cable,Sat, Direct TV, and OTA.... That is why so many on here, ask people how they plan to receive their HD. That is what determins what is needed.

I am lucky I get 6 HD feeds, OTA. But once the NFL season is over I am still probably going to get Comcast HD, it torques me they don't have some of the HD offerings, they seem to provide in other markets, so I have held off. But with the NFL season going strong and the playoffs, the amount of hours I have been watching HD material has been fairly high, but I see that dropping dramatically after the season is over. Discovery HD Theater is the one, I really want, as I am a semi-professional astronomer, I love nearly all things science related, and they don't currently offer it my area.

9. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Dish Network has a deal with CBS corporate to broadcast the NYC CBS-HD signal to any market where the CBS station is owned and operated by CBS corporate. There are no deals with any other networks, and DirectTV does not have such a deal for any network. You can check on www.dishnetwork.com whether you qualify for CBS-HD, I believe.

BTW, all HD satellite receives happen to also include at least one OTA ATSC tuner, and you don't have to pay for those locals [​IMG] If you're already thinking about satellite TV service, then signing up with Dish or DirectTV as a new customer and getting an HD capable receiver might be cheaper than buying a separate OTA ATSC tuner. Check www.satteliteguys.us for all kinds of good satellite info.

-- Dave

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Two weeks ago, DirecTV announced that they are adding a national feed of CBS-HD before the Super Bowl and soon after a national feed for Fox widescreen. The waiver rules are exactly the same as Dish.

-Robert

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Chris, I got a Samsung SIR-T151 for $169 + tax @ Best Buy, open box. They had another I originally looked at that was missing the remote/manual/etc for $149.

Hunt around BB & CC. I don't even watch TV, or sports, but even I watch the superbowl (and maybe hockey playoffs). I might ebay mine back off afterwards. There's hope to find a cheap one.

I don't even have my projector yet (buying an X1 next week), but the open box deal was sweet.