How to get music from LP to CD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,
    My dad has a few old records that he would really like to have on CD so I'm wondering if anyone here has done this before. The best idea I had so far is to use the line out jack on my receiver to the line in on my computer and rip the info off the record and onto the computer, then convert it to .WAV and burn it on a CD. The only problem I can think of with this is if the receiver does not pass the signal form the record player to the line out. If you have any idea of how to do this better I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    Ryan
    P.S. I know this is like committing Audiophile suicide but I'm the one that has to live with it not you
    [​IMG]

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I think a little phono pre-amp made for owners of receivers that don't have a phono input might be what you need. The line out from such a pre-amp is exactly what the PCs line in wants to see.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Never did this but couldn't you use the tape out output from the reciever to send the signal to your computer?

4. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

What I did to a couple of 45s is record to tape and then I've got a tape deck connected to my computer

But the tape out from the receiver should work just as well

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

6. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I got the amp with the phono ins and line or tape out and it worked great! thanks

Ryan

7. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Actually I think the Adaptec software program comes with the necessary cabling to do this hookup. At least mine did although I have never tried it.

Russ

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Use the tape out from the receiver and you're good to go. Don't expect results that will stand up to critical listening, but the results should be passable.