What's new

How to get msg number? (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Vince,

You might have missed my follow-on question (in another section), but when linking to a thread, you said to get a specific msg within a thread to pop-up, you have to know the msg number. How does one obtain that info?

Thanks.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well to be honest, I do it by clicking the "edit this post" button.

For example the address of this thread is:

hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54973

If I click edit post, I can see my post number is:

postid=504254

And so you can link direct to the post by saying:

hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54973#post504254

But with Vbulletin, I believe this has been setup so that only moderators and the original poster may access the "edit post" page for specific posts. This would mean getting a post number would be impossible unless you're a mod, or it is your post (*unless you want to search through the page source code...).

If that is the case, maybe Parker could add an extra button above each post that provides a link directly to that post-- a "link directly to this post" button. That way you could copy the link and use that.

-Vince

RicP

Screenwriter
Click "View Source" in your browser and look for the "Post (3)" or whatever appears next to the post you want to link to.
Then look for an anchor tag for "editpost.php"
Following the Anchor tag for that page is the according post id for that particular post. :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I just realized- you might not need to look at the source code. Try mousing over the "edit the post" icon and looking at the link the pops up at the bottom of your browser, or even right click and copy the link location.

That should give you the post number.

I went ahead and logged out as an admin- and even if I'm not logged in, the link shows me the post number.

-Vince

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Vince:

>I believe this has been setup so that only moderators and the original poster may access the "edit post" page for specific posts<

Yup. That's what I see from my end.

RicP:

>then look for an anchor tag for "editpost.php<

Ouch! That's too much work!

Vince:

>Try mousing over the "edit the post" icon<

That actually works.. but in a strange way. If I'm careful and mouse to just the right point, I see the post number. But if I mouse to the center of the icon, I just see edit message in the link location.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Rick,

Just right click on the icon and select "Copy Link Location" (or "copy shortcut" if you use Internet Explorer).

-Vince

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rick:
I just added an icon below a member's username that looks like
copy.gif
that you can right click on and then copy the address to your message that you want to send or to the address bar of your browser.
Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks