What's new

How to get killer bass (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still planning out my HT setup, thinking about JBL or Infinity, but I have made no commitment yet. I wasn't planning on getting a sub from either of them though. I will sue my setup for both movies/TV and music and I want to be able to have killer bass for music, like “obnoxious high school kid in a car shaking your rear view mirror” bass. I was looking at the EP600, I love the look of it and the claim of 10Hz, but the $1700 price made me not so happy. I wouldn’t want to spend over $1000, and I was thinking of building my own with 2 15”s one day, but as far as what’s out there that people know the performance of… what kind of options do I have?

Thanks,

D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne CHT-15 and/or it's replacement the Velo DR5000.

These are great subs in this price range.

Any of the dual 12" SVS / HSU models as well. I'm sort of down on single 12" drivers these days. As you did say killer bass ya know. :)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with John.. If you want to do this right from the beginning and in the long run will save you lots of money... Trust me I am on my 4th and final speaker/sub setup in the last 10 years. Had I started out right and spent the money on quality gear and pieced it together I could have saved thousands of dollars.

Go with an SVS or HSU dual speaker sub. I have the SVS PB2+ultra which is now called the PB12 ultra+2 or something like that. It took the place of dual 12" NHT subs that had like 800 Watts apiece going in to them and there was not even a close compairison. You can really feel the room pressurize and sometimes the chest hair standing up when those great HT scenes or Concert DVDs are played with the SVS.

You would be better off starting on your front three (MATCHED) speakers and a receiver and adding onto from there as the money comes in. I really like the Rocket packages (they have a 750 and 550 series on sale now for an unheard of price (av123.com) but there are plenty of other online places that have great speakers as well such as Axiom, Ascend and others but you have to let your ears be the judge. Find someone on one of their forums that will let you come over and do a demo at their home... You will be surprised at what you can get for the prices this way.

Good luck
MikeL

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

In that case, Hsu or SVS subs may prove disappointing, as they're engineered to provide smooth, extended bass...not the boomfest popular among the Clearasil crowd.

Ned

Supporting Actor
You can eq any sub to sound like "obnoxious high school kid in a car..."

1 BFD
1 band at 60hz, 1 octave width, +12db
duplicate as needed for more boom

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I like to feel the music, and still have a nice HT sound too.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That’s a simple function of having comparatively the same number of drivers and amplifier power per cubic feet of listening space as the high school kid’s car. Most people don’t want a couple dozen 12” subs in their living room, or the eight-foot stack of amplifiers needed to deliver the necessary 20,000 or so watts.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Behringer Feedback Destroyer. It's a parametric equalizer used to flatten (or exaggerate) the frequency response of a sub in a room.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Ok that one is a bit out of my price range... but I'm sure I would like it.

I figure $500 for an amp, $400 for a sub (or 2) and $100 for material, if I was to go the DIY way.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How big is the room this will be going in? That's going to be a big factor in how much sub you will need to get what you are looking for.

You can build a pretty gnarly DIY sub for a lot less than that. My buddy's is tuned to 17.5Hz driven by a crown amp bridged to produce over 1000W; he's got some serious bass. I think he only spent around $500-600 total.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Well it is going in the basement and I am desingating a 10'8"x19'10" area to my HT setup although the entire room is in the 500sqft range.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the ~11x19 is open to the rest of the area, you have to count the whole area.

You could contact SVS directly and give them the room specs, explain that sort of ridiculous bass you're looking for, and they could probably help you figure out what will do it for you. I'd imagine something like PB-12/Plus2 would probably do the trick.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind cutting holes, the only problem is that the only place that i have to cut a hole is the area under my stairs, which a big mess-o-storage that I would not want to have a sub in there and there is a storage rack right there. So that MIGHT be out of the question.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Does an IB need to be in a seperate room all together, could I use my drop ceiling as an IB setup? I was reading the cult website and there seems to be alot of good ideas for amps and setup... i liked it.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The IB does not need to be in a separate room; it just needs a large volume of space adjoining the HT room. If there is a good slab of empty space in your drop ceiling, your're in business.

ChrisCan

Agent
Ok I think I might have to experiment with this IB concept. It looks pretty cool and I got a couple 10" sub drivers kicking around

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't think an IB in a drop ceiling is a good idea. And I can gauarntee that 10" drivers aren't going to cut it. Do more research at the cult site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks