What's new

How to Get iTunes to Show Internet Radio Songs (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You see how baffling this is...

Why did it happen on two computers? Doesn't seem very random.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And to review, my office computer at work and the one at home are both late 2018 Minis, one with an i7 and one with an i3 (which I wouldn't think would make a difference) running the same OS and version of iTunes. One works, one doesn't. The only other difference is the one that works has 32GB of RAM and the one that doesn't has 8GB. The other that doesn't work is a 2011 Mini, also with 8GB of RAM. Is there any chance the RAM makes a difference? I suppose it's possible. I've had in the back of my mind to increase the RAM in my office Mini.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm beginning to think the lack of RAM is the only viable explanation. I'd been wanting to install more in my computer once prices came down. They've dropped to 1/2 what they were when I got the computers, so maybe now's the time.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK!

It's the !^&$@ RAM!

It occurred to me that our shipping computer (a 2012 Quad Core Mini) is my old home computer, and it has 16GB of RAM. So, I launched iTunes, and it displays song the titles. It has to be the RAM.

Thanks for your help @Sam Posten

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@Sam Posten It's not difficult to find out. I'd been planning to increase the RAM in my office Mini anyway. Once I do that, we'll know for certain.

Wanna make any wagers?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will most likely settle this issue, once and for all, some time tomorrow. I want to know Sam's wager.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, @Sam Posten I figured it out earlier than tomorrow. It wasn't the RAM.

iTunes won't display the song while it's sharing anything with AirPlay. How stupid is that?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you running the same version of iTunes on both computers?
When the problem first occurred, all computers were running the same OS and version of iTunes. That change was clearly with an OS/iTunes update. Currently, not all computers are running the same OS, and might not be the same version of iTunes, or it might be. I have to double check. Regardless, they are all doing the same thing. At home, I checked it multiple times. Turn off AirPlay, the current song is displayed. Turn on AirPlay, the song disappears.

I'm reasonably certain the loss of the feature came with AirPlay2 OR Apple's purchase of Beats 1. When I played the free Beats 1 stream, it showed the current song, even when streaming over AirPlay. Free internet stations only show the current song when it's not being streamed over AirPlay. So, it appears Apple dumbed down iTunes on free content. I wouldn't put it past them to encourage people to subscribe to their music service.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, @Sam Posten I figured it out earlier than tomorrow. It wasn't the RAM.

iTunes won't display the song while it's sharing anything with AirPlay. How stupid is that?
Good thing you didn't get Sam's wager. :laugh: Actually, I would have been really surprised if it had been the RAM, too. That just didn't make any sense.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good thing you didn't get Sam's wager. :laugh: Actually, I would have been really surprised if it had been the RAM, too. That just didn't make any sense.
My theory was that when the OS senses limited RAM, it does all sorts of little things to conserve memory. The only variable I could come up with between the computers that showed songs and those which didn't was RAM. Once you eliminate everything it can't be, whatever's left....

As often happens, there was another variable that hadn't occurred to me. it's easy to say it couldn't be RAM, but is that any less likely than AirPlay causing it? Be honest now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m obviously clueless, but I encountered exactly that situation about eight years ago.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My theory was that when the OS senses limited RAM, it does all sorts of little things to conserve memory. The only variable I could come up with between the computers that showed songs and those which didn't was RAM. Once you eliminate everything it can't be, whatever's left....

As often happens, there was another variable that hadn't occurred to me. it's easy to say it couldn't be RAM, but is that any less likely than AirPlay causing it? Be honest now.

I’d have bet on anything but RAM :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks