How to get Invited to the Movies?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bill Griffith, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

So, I hear about all these people that get invited to pre-showings of movie releases (a week or 2 before there released) or Screenings for movies. How do you get on this list where you get invited to these things? Do you have to live in a specific area? Do you have to have some sort of a movie reviewer type job or hobby?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Press screenings are usually done two days before the release, and for these you need to be a reviewer or critic. Test screenings occur much earlier. Promotional advance screenings (which is what I think you're thinking about) occur a few weeks prior to release. These are often advertised in area "alternative weekly" publications. Studio employees are often given passes to this sort of thing, which they sometimes give to friends, etc.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

In NY, if you're lucky you see people handing out passes outside of the theater. They take your name and #, and I believe you have to call to confirm. It happened to me twice, I got passes for 2 movies at each time: Shaft, Scary Movie, possibly Rush Hour, and I forgot the last one. At the end you fill out some questionnaire about the movie (what did you (not) like, what would you change, fav sequence etc...). Most people would just write anything so they could get the hell out ASAP.

In Hartford, I got to see Identity for free. While standing in line for some other show I saw a whole bunch of people walking in with passes. I asked the lady at the booth (who happened to be a manager) and was told that it was a sneak preview. Most of the attendents won the passes from a local radio station. She said I could get in if there was still room at the start of the movie - there was plenty, t'was a week night.

So for me it was all luck.

--
    H

4. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Hehe when I read the subject title I was expecting the thread to be about how to get your friends to invite you to the movies with them [​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Bill, if Houston was like Dallas in any respect (other than being in the correct state [​IMG]), you can get on screening lists for ‘some’ films, at least three different (though sometimes the same) ways.

Often in Dallas our art house theatres allow selected members of the public to a screening for critics. Here are a few ways to get on the invite list:

·Sign up for the promotional material at the theatre. In Dallas the Inwood (which is a Landmark theatre) sends out e-mail invitations to screenings about 2 or 3 times a month. All you have to do is print the e-mail and show up. The trick is that it is on a first-come, first-served basis. Of course they have to have your e-mail address in order for you to get the invite. Our other two art houses do this from time to time, but not so frequently.
    ·Donate to public radio or TV. My wife and I get monthly invites as a part of our NPR contribution. Show up and if you are on the member list, in you go. Again first come, first served. This deal switches among our three art houses.
    ·Check out your free paper (I assume Houston has one). The Dallas Observer has details on picking up screening tickets from time to time. The deal here is that you have to drop by some local merchant and pick up the tickets. Even then, you are once again on a first-come, first-served basis.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Start dating Ashton Kutcher.

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

For Underworld (the last movie I saw @ the theater), I saw it a few days before release. I got "hooked up" by a friend who works at the theater and got a pre-screening for free. Most cases, I'm glad I didn't pay to see the movie. [​IMG]

8. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

If you like smaller indie movies, and there's a film festival in your city, check out information about joining. I became a member of the Chicago International Film Festival, and one of the perks is getting passes to upcoming movies, sometimes several weeks before they open, sometimes a few days before.

I'm ok that the passes are/seem to be more often for smaller, indie films that need word-of-mouth (if only I'd write about them). Occasionally the director and/or actors are at the screening to answer questions. Sometimes the passes are for members only (you must have a membership card to enter) and sometimes they allow you to bring a non-member guest.

I've only been a member for 5 months and so far I've gotten passes to:

Raising Victor Vargas (the director and 2 lead actors were there)
    The Dancer Upstairs (the director, John Malkovich, was there)
    Bend It Like Beckham
    Winged Migration
    Manic (the lead actor was there)
    The Shape of Things
    The Sea
    The Magdalene Sisters (the director, Peter Mullan, was there)
    I Capture The Castle
    The Housekeeper
    Passionada
    Thirteen (no one from the film, but there was a panel discussion)
    The Other Side of the Bed
    In This World

There were several more I didn't get a chance to attend (was sick, or moving, or had something else going on that night), such as Uptown Girls, Lucia Lucia, Spy Kids 3D, Capturing the Friedmans, Step Into Liquid, and Together (I'm really upset about missing those last 3). Coming up is a screening of The Maldonado Miracle (Salma Hayek's directorial debut).

I haven't added up anything, but I feel I've already gotten my membership money's worth just in advance screenings.

9. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I just realized I can't edit my own posts anymore! ???

Anyway, Matchstick Men was also a freebie.

10. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

If you are in Houston, get on the mailing list for the River Oaks Landmark theater on West Gray. They often have free screenings of new films on Tuesday nights, they will notify you by email. I have seen many new films this way!

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The only pre-screening I'd ever been to was "Stroker Ace" [​IMG] but that was 20 years ago, so I don't remember how I got in. I went with my family, they must have gotten the tickets some how.

What about those "foucs groups" in the mall. They always used to be in the mall I went to. They'd get all your info and show you a video clip and ask for feedback. I never participated, but I'm sure if I did, I'd be on some sort of list.

12. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Thanks for the Ideas Guys.

Jason thanks for the info on the local theater.

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Oh, if your town has a local entertainment rag like Creative Loafing, check that. Sometimes businesses give away a small number of movie passes, first-come first-served, & they often advertise these in those papers.