How to Get DTS Audio From Non-DTS Player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Travis Brashear, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

This seems like the kind of question that has probably appeared 1,000 times before, but I honestly can't find anything when I do a search, so my apologies in advance. I have a Kenwood DTS 5.1/DD 5.1/Dolby Pro-Logic II surround receiver, but my DVD player is a Sony DVP-S7000 which only outputs DD 5.1, not DTS. I've heard that there is a way to convert the audio once it is output by the player so the receiver will recognize and decode it as DTS 5.1 but I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to the tech stuff. Can anyone help me a) confirm whether or not this can be done and, if so, b) advise in the most dumbed-down manner possible how to do it? Thanks a million!

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Your player dosnt have to have a DTS decoder to output the DTS bitstream to the receiver. Just make sure your receiver is connected to the player with via optical or coaxial cable and select DTS from the sound options in the movie menu. You should be set to go. Oh, make sure the player itself is set to bitstream and not PCM in the players setup menu.

3. Travis Brashear

Sweet!

But now I'm curious; what is made easier in the process by having a DTS-capable DVD player if the receiver can decode the audio output as DTS regardless of the player?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You can't get DTS out of a 7000 player...at least not from a DVD. DTS CD's will work but that's not what you're asking about. The best you can do is either play the DD track or connect analog cables and have the receiver use its PLII or DTS:NEO processing to try and emulate 5.1 but you are better off just picking the DD 5.1 track if its available. Honestly while there are some differences between DD and DTS I wouldn't worry to much about it and if you do opt to upgrade you're going to be buying a player that not only will do DTS but will also output a progressive image (assuming you have a HD TV)

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard

It is not true to say the receiver can decode DTS regardless of player. There are a number of players that can't pass the DTS bitstream, although most can. A recent Silvania player, the DVL1000F does not pass DTS.

Chris

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Whoops. I didnt realize how old this player was. Interlaced player that sold for $2500 in 1997. Wow. I think your only option is to upgrade. You can probably get a better player for around $100 at this point. Btw, these players are selling for $100 on ebay for some reason. I cant imagine why.

7. Travis Brashear

Because, though they don't have every bell and whistle, they're bad ass workhorses, built to last. This thing'll probably still be spinning discs after my next three DVD players have crapped out. And with a DVD software library over 800 titles, literally the only playback issue I've ever encountered is some bizarre digital blocking on some of the menu screens for HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN. But, alas, perhaps it's time to move it to the bedroom and upgrade for the living room.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

DTS is not worth upgrading the player for IMO. Just enjoy Dolby Digital and your old player is just fine.

9. dany

dany Supporting Actor

DTS imo is way fun for DTS music and imo DTS movies are better so why not upgrade.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If you have an HDTV, then getting a progressive player will be the way to go. Getting DTS is a nice bonus. If you have over 800 dvds i'd hope you have an HD capable or progressive scan capable set.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    DTS is definitely worth upgrading for, and while you're at it you might just pick up a player that has DVD-A and SACD capability or you can just step right up into HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (if you have an HD capable display). Progressive scan is also a very worth while reason to upgrade (again, if you have a capble display).

$2500 was MSRP, you could buy them new for $700 not too long after they came out. $100 is because they are so old and the lack of DTS is usually a show stopper for many.

12. Travis Brashear

No way I'm going that route until the format war is settled. And, really, guys, I'm thankful for all the advice (for what it's worth, Shane, I only have a run-of-the-mill standard TV at this time, but maybe next year--God the prices are rough, and I'd rather greedily grab up software weekly now then save for months for a better set...well, until just very recently, that's how I've felt), but I'm well aware of progressive vs. interlaced, SACD, and all the other bells and whistles of current technology, so I don't need a primer breakdown of the ins-and-outs of DVD technology--I just wanted to now if I could make DTS happen in spite of the limitations of the S7000 (which I bought for $750 in summer '98); now that I know I can't, I'll work to upgrade to the most badass Sony non-HD player on the market between now and Xmas...thanks again all!

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If you really want DTS, pretty much every player on the market will output a DTS bitstream now even the $30 'disposable' ones you find at wal-mart.

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The S7000 was and still is one of the best interlaced DVD players made. Its also a VERY good transport for external DAC's for CD playback...actually its internal DAC's aren't too shabby either and I know plenty of people that still use this player as their CD player or as a transport to an external DAC.

Given that you don't yet have a HD TV and there's the format war going on with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray my advice is just wait and enjoy what you have and only consider a DVD player upgrade once you've upgraded the TV to a HD capable set.

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with andrew, without an HDTV, sticking with interlaced is the way to go. That player is an excellent player and as long as it is still working, there aren't going to be any new players that are likely to be better in interlaced mode.

Don't expect the war to be over anytime soon. Both sides have invested a lot of money in them and they will both be around for a while.

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Wow, who would have thought that selecting DTS or not to DTS would be a dilemna at this point and time. I had the same dilemna that you had but in reverse order when I first stepped into HT. My player did DTS Pioneer DV-414 but the Kenwood VR205 didn't do DTS. I kept it for about 8 months, then a chunk of money came in and it was switched out almost immediately for the HK 500. All the posts about how DTS sounded over Dolby Digital was the factor that convinced me.

If it's the video you are in love with, then it all depends on what you are watching DVDs on. If it's a recent t.v. that accepts progressive scan, then I would have to say upgrade since the model doesn't do DTS and it's interlaced only. But if your monitor is something that just have S-Video or component but not capable to do progressive, then keep it if video is your thing and not audio. Audio, well my point get a new one.