What's new

How to get a little extra money? (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I'm a student, and in a weird situation - all the on-campus positions are full, and i can't work off-campus - let's leave it at that, even though i know that's the best option.
Now, i want to get a little extra money (like $ 100-150 a month) for sundry stuff, but don't know what to do.
I advertised rides to towns near here on the college BB, but the only inquiry i got was from somebody who thought it was for free. Quickly set that right. :)
I can work on PCs, and a leeeetle network stuff, but don't know how to advertise myself and how much to charge. I could be pretty cheap, cos i'm desperate... :)
What else could i do to get some cash? People don't seem to want 20-year old guys for baby-sitters. :p

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Do yardwork for acquaintances or go to your local church and ask if any senior citizens need some yardwork.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
"Sell stuff on ebay, its easy!"
Are you serious? My initial response was :rolleyes, but i'd be interested...

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Sell your internal organs on ebay! ;)
If you are offering rides I will assume you either own a car or have access to one. That leads me to surmise that driving a few miles to a job shouldn't be a problem. I don't want to pry into your personal life, but is there a major reason you won't/can't work off campus??? You really are severely limiting your options!

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Have you looked into workstudy? At my school at least, the workstudy and campus employment are seperate. WS doesn't pay much, but a little is more than zilch

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
There are ads on tv around here all the time about paying for your plasma. I think it is about $140 a month if you do it once a week or so. Look around, there might be something like that in your area.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to pry into your personal life, but is there a major reason you won't/can't work off campus???
Immigration status, F1 (student visa).
Nothing to worry about or to be ashamed of. Been there, done that. It's not easy. I was lucky enough to have had several jobs on campus. I got the first one through determination (I had to basically harass the bookstore manager). From there, getting other jobs on campus was much easier. I would have never made it through college if it wasn't for those jobs.
Hang in there.
Of course , I could be totally off base, I have been wrong before :D
--
Holadem

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Students on the F1 visa cannot work offcampus during the first year, and after that, have to prove to the INS (I believe it's the INS) that they *need* to work offcampus to support themselves.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Is there any medical research being conducted on campus? You can usually study while sitting through whatever tests they've concocted for healthy young men. If you're lucky you might even end up with a neat party trick and glow in the dark.;)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
There are many employers that would be happy to employ you and forget to mention your status to any government agencies... Not that I'm condoning this, but...

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
There was a place called "Plasma Alliance" where I went to school. Many students would get money for plasma.

Also, try tutoring. I tutored for $10/hour on campus. Also, since I was a math major, I was able to apply for a grading position. So I would grade math papers that a Teaching assistant would teach. I think I made a hundred bucks a month or something like that. It was easy money for minimal time. So perhaps your department/school at the university has something like that. Sometimes if you talk to the dean of a school, they may know of some openings or part-time help needing in the department.

Hope this helps

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Yep, Holadem is right on the money. I'm on an F1 visa, and broke. :b
I'll head to the french teacher tomorrow and ask her if she needs help correcting her papers. :D
Mmmm, she has a cute butt too...
I wouldn't mind working at all, but i can't, atleast not right now.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Sell your spuzz.
The downside is it takes a long background check and women do prefer donars that are educated and on the tall side, (5'10" and up). But how does $50 a squeeze sound to you?
That means you'll reach your budget by working the twig and giggle berries only twice a month.
hehe, I'm just playing you probably won't make it through the audition. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks