How to get a high gloss finish?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andrew Pezzo, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

My cat broke a glass shelf on my audio rack and I want to replace it with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. I want to try and finish the shelf so that it matches the other shelves on the rack. Basically, I want it to have a high gloss black finish (like a piano).

My original thought was to paint it black and then use a clear poly. How should I go about this?

2. Foster Gullett

Foster Gullett Auditioning

Andrew,
    I am no expert but what I would suggest is sanding the plywood with 120 grit sand paper then go to a 180 grit sand paper. You want to get it smooth but have a little texture to it. With the texture the 180grit sand paper will give it you need to put down two coats of a gray primer coat (the gray primer won't dull the black coat the way a white primer will) sand the primer with 220 grit sand paper and then spray on two coats of black high gloss paint. Then you can put a light coat of polyurethane on if it still does not have the high gloss you are looking for. Like I said, I am no expert, so I would do all of this on a scrap piece first before I do it on the real thing just to make sure that the look is exactly what you want.

Hope This Helps,
    Foster

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Thanks. IIRC sanding is very important to get the smooth finish. Luckily I will have a piece of scrap to try this on, good suggestion!

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
  5. RodN

RodN Stunt Coordinator

A great finish with clear is all about how flat the surface is. For glass like you'll need to eventually get down to 800 or 1200 grit. All with coats of clear in between. Basically sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, coat - as many as you can, gradually increasing the grit until you get sick of it!