How To Fix Hum With 2 Prong Polarized Plug?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Sep 18, 2002.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My long anticipated SVS PC Plus showed up today. Unfortunately, so did a hum. Below are my symptoms. I should add that I simply unhooked my old SVS 20-39PC and plugged the new on in. All cables are the same.
    The power cord is two prong, so I can't use a cheater plug.
    The power cord is polarized, so I can't reverse it at the outlet.
    It also is designed in such a way as to not allow it to be reversed at the sub end (power cord is detachable).
    I don't have cable, I have a dish.
    I tried running the plug to a separate outlet, off the power center used for the rest of the equipment- no go.

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, email SVS right away. Fastest and best way to get your problem solved.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

You might try unplugging different items one by one and see if the hum goes away. If it goes away with a particular item unplugged, you could use the cheater plug on that item, or try to move that item to another plug, etc.

Keep in mind that lifting the ground on a piece of equipment that is supposed to have it is not the best fix, but at least a quick, temporary one.

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

James might have done more investigating here but I believe he tracked it down to his Direct TV line, DTV/DSS is second only to cable TV as a source of ground loops in my experience. Either different/better grounding of the or an in-line filter is typically the answer there.

Ron

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Ron is correct. I traced the problem to the 75 ohm cable from my satellite dish to the satellite receiver. I should add that Tom V. answered my e-mail within 45 minutes, offering suggestions on what to look for. Now I'm waiting for the correct fix from my installer.

I disconnected the cable and calibrated the new 25-31PC Plus, and all will soon be well. The new sub really rocks. Anyone still waiting for theirs will not be disappointed.