What's new

How to find sales prices of nearby homes (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just curious what my home may be worth now, after purchasing it 10 years ago, but don't want to pay for an appraisal.

Just down the street a home like mine sold in less than a week. Same thing with three other homes within about three blocks of me. All similar to my home, same size, all built around the same time, same condition, etc...

I know the selling price is public knowledge, but where do I find that information?

Our one local newspaper used to print home sales information every week, but stopped a few years ago, claiming it required to much staff time.

Can I call the realtors? Are there web sites that list that type of info?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Only in certain states. I don't know about WA, but in my state it is not. There are websites out there that will let you do a search, but like I said, that only applies to certain states.

Real estate agents can get that information, but unless you have a friend who is one, I'm not sure some random person would help you. I would just pay attention to the local MLS listings in your area and see what the houses are all listed at. That will give you a general idea of what the houses are going for, especially if they are selling quickly (which in my experience means people are offering list price, or possibly more if the market is really hot).

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
If the buyer took on a mortgage to finance the purchase of the home, then you may be able to find a copy of the mortgage (along with some other neat info) in your city hall. Where I used to live, mortgages were scanned and put in a public database right at the lobby of city hall.....

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
You can go into most any realty office, tell them you're considering selling your property, and they'll give you a CMA (comparative market anaylsis)or perhaps just an "off the cuff" idea.

Mort

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
Here in GA all county courthouses have that info on file in the deed and property record room. Some counties have it available on the net.

Check with your local county courthouse.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Not wanting to hijack this tread, but where can I obtain a blueprint of my home? Does this include what materials were used, etc?

- Colton

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
www.realtor.com if it is available in your state.

Search by zip code, get lots of comparision properties.

It lags behind MLS by about three days.

http://www.homesdatabase.com/

I am wondering if this works in your state.

Any real estate office near you, Coldwell Banker for instance, should let you search listings on their website without contacting an agent, just to get an idea of what's going on in your neighborhood.

MC

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Asking price of similar houses on the market is a good indicator. Figure the final sales price will probably fall within 10% above or below the asking.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thank you to everyone for the info. Digging into some of the different links and finding what I need.

Our city/county web pages don't have anything, but I'll visit the courthouse and see what I can find.

thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks