How to find old 'Nerf' football?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Jul 18, 2002.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hello,

This may sound strange, but I'm trying to buy an older Nerf football that I used to have which they don't make anymore. I figured my best bet is a place like eBay. My only trouble is, I can't remember what it was actually called.

It was a neon yellow and purple football, that had some sort of whistle in it...so that when you threw it, it would make a whistling sound. The only thing I've been able to find that is similar, is some new style one that has some sort of "tail" on the ball.

Well, if anyone knows the name of the ball I'm talking about, could you please let me know.

Thanks a bunch.

2. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Turbo Football?

Not 100% sure, but when I was a kid watching after-school cartoons, I saw the ad for this a lot...

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Martin,
    Thanks. You're right, it was the NERF Turbo Whistler I'm thinking of.
    Well, now that I got that out of the way, the hard part begins...trying to find one [​IMG]

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Ah, if it hadn't been the turbo one, I would have suggested the roof of the house where I grew up. There's at least two or three stuck up there somewhere. [​IMG]

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

When I first saw this thread, I was thinking of basic Nerf footballs that were sold when I was kid in the late '70s. What happened to those? By the '80s, Nerf got all complicated. I loved the basic Nerf football. It had dimples and fake laces, plus it came in a load of colors. Well, the colors were great until the color layer chipped off from the ball hitting pavement all the time. Then you basically had a yellow foam football. [​IMG] I have vivid recollections of a purple Nerf football I had when I was 7 or 8. I wish Nerf would bring those back. [​IMG]
    Like Bill, I wonder how many Nerf footballs I lost on rooftops. [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Stupid question. Are Nerf products still made? I just typed "www.nerf.com" into my browser window and wound up at Hasbro's home page. Under "Toys" and "Brands", there is no mention of Nerf. [​IMG]

7. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Andy,
    There are several "Nerf" like footballs around, but haven't seen a real nerf in ages. I think Nerf must be in biz because I have 3 Nerf dart guns, and the darts are still sold. BTW, the ball w/ the tail and fins that has the whistles on it is a GAS! Highly recommended! And it's $10 at Wal-Mart. (make sure to get the one w/ the whistles.)

8. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Looks like Nerf is making a comeback....

9. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hey everyone,
    The reason I'm looking for that particular model, is because it has real sentimental value to someone I know. If I could manage to find one somewhere, it would make a really good present.
    I'm not looking for something for me to use [​IMG] But ya, all the Nerf stuff has changed over the years. No more of the basic Nerf football anymore. Everythings gone all weird now [​IMG]

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Carl, thanks for the link. This is not my childhood's Nerf. I remember as a kid when toy stores had a huge bin of the old classic Nerf footballs. They were simply shrinkwrapped in plastic, but they are no more. A lot of brands have gone retro in recent years, so perhaps Nerf will re-issue the classic football. Call it a "Limited Edition Anniversary Football" or something. [​IMG]

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

In a similar vein, I'm trying to find the white, hard-rubber balls that we used to use to play fast-pitch when we were kids. (Where you draw a box on the side of a brick building and use that as the strike zone.)

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I grew up throwing Nerf footballs around with one of my best childhood friends. When we get together, we always have a old Nerf around to toss around. Even though we are getting older, we still have the Nerf touch when it comes ot throwing a Nerf hard and far, with accuracy. I amaze my current friends with my ability to throw a perfect spiral with plenty of zip on the throw when a Nerf football shows up every now and then.

Ah...fond memories. We spent many hours trying to get Nerf footballs out of trees too.

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

14. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Kind of off topic but anyone remember the "Oopie" that you could get at KFC? It was a beach ball with a small water pocket on one end so the ball would do loops when you threw it. It was funny as hell watching people trying to catch it. On the nerf front many fond memories, I used to launch a nerf football in the air and my buddy in his prelude would race down the street and try to catch it through his sunroof. It probably took 50 tries to finally get it. Good luck in your search!

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I remember that! Those white baseballs were cool. I remember that when you hit them, they looked like an egg flying. Growing up, I preferred hitting tennis balls. Man, I could hit them far. [​IMG]