How to figure out which memory type to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lee, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

I've been using a Dell desktop with a P-III 600 mHz processor for several years now, and it's generally suited my needs fine. However, I'd like to add some RAM beyond the 128 MB it was originally installed with. These days, with designations like SDRAM, RDRAM, Rambus (are they all the same?) floating around, I've got no idea which kind I need to buy. Is there a way to figure out which type I've already got installed? (I'm not the type who does much under-the-hood tinkering, so I've got no idea....) All help is appreciated.

2. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

Swing over to Crucial.com and enter your computers model number, etc and it will tell you what you need and probably get you some pretty good prices.

3. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Thanx for the tip, Oscar! Order placed.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I think all Pentium III machines use SDRAM (usually PC133 speed). The RAMBUS, RDRAM, yadda yadda are for the P4 machines.

KJP

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've always thought it was motherboard-dependent as to what RAM is acceptable for use (so always consult your MB manual if possible).

6. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

Patrick, you are mostly correct but... It is usually related to the specifications and capabilities of the motherboards as to what multiplier and bus speeds they support but there were different flavors of the PIII CPUs. Some ran PC100 (100MHz) memory, the older models and some newer models with an EB idetifier ran PC133 memory. Some MBs supported both some either, or.

My two cents.

Roy C.

7. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor