What's new

How to evaluate difference between S and Component Video (1 Viewer)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Hi,

I now have basic level AR S Video and medium level AR Component Video cables linking my Pioneer DV 333 and Sony Wega 32" KV-32FS16. While I can switch back and forth easily between the two with a switch on the back of the Pioneer, I can't tell much difference.

How can I tell if it was worth getting the component video cables? Which DVDs are best at highlighting the differences and what should I look for (which scenes/what effects)? I have Avia, if needed.

Many thanks, Dan

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Video essentials has test patterns so I would figure Avia does too. Look at the patterns with a lot of close lines. You should see a slight difference in the moire' effect in the pattern. In composite the patterns appear to be almost rainbow like, s-video clears most of that out, and component should be slightly better. The gain may not be noticable in casual DVD watching but after a while the subtle differences will show.

Bill

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It is tougher to see on a TV of that size. All I can tell you is what I experienced. I am running 20ft of component and a 20ft s-video (silver conductors) both from the same manufacturer (Acoustic Research). I played A Bug's Life and the most noticeable difference was very slight bleeding around edges, like Hopper's body for example when viewing s-video. The component completely cleaned that up. There were also minor colour differences with s-video being slightly more saturated than the component, but this may be setup related. Other than that, they looked the same on an 84" screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks