How to evaluate difference between S and Component Video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Lindley, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi,

I now have basic level AR S Video and medium level AR Component Video cables linking my Pioneer DV 333 and Sony Wega 32" KV-32FS16. While I can switch back and forth easily between the two with a switch on the back of the Pioneer, I can't tell much difference.

How can I tell if it was worth getting the component video cables? Which DVDs are best at highlighting the differences and what should I look for (which scenes/what effects)? I have Avia, if needed.

Many thanks, Dan

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Video essentials has test patterns so I would figure Avia does too. Look at the patterns with a lot of close lines. You should see a slight difference in the moire' effect in the pattern. In composite the patterns appear to be almost rainbow like, s-video clears most of that out, and component should be slightly better. The gain may not be noticable in casual DVD watching but after a while the subtle differences will show.

Bill

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It is tougher to see on a TV of that size. All I can tell you is what I experienced. I am running 20ft of component and a 20ft s-video (silver conductors) both from the same manufacturer (Acoustic Research). I played A Bug's Life and the most noticeable difference was very slight bleeding around edges, like Hopper's body for example when viewing s-video. The component completely cleaned that up. There were also minor colour differences with s-video being slightly more saturated than the component, but this may be setup related. Other than that, they looked the same on an 84" screen.