What's new

How to edit a post? (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Would like to edit a post I made. Want to user spoiler tags on part of it. But don't see an icon to edit?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
You have only about 24 hours in which to edit a post. After that, the option is taken away.

Not that that's a bad thing-- some posters might like everything that they wrote on their posts and see no need to edit (formatting, everything, the works), but why is the editing option removed after 24 hours?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Not that that's a bad thing-- some posters might like everything that they wrote on their posts and see no need to edit (formatting, everything, the works), but why is the editing option removed after 24 hours?
You'll have to ask the owners or the moderators. It used not to be like this. You could edit your post long after originally uploading it. I don't know why the system was changed.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just guessing but I would say the general reason falls under the category of journalistic integrity. Once a post has related [or quoted] comments it would be extremely confusing for others to read the thread and find the things that were commented on or quoted no longer exist.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's not like I'm touting an "official line" or anything, but we've had members delete hundreds (or maybe more) posts by editing out all the text. It decimated some discussions and rendered a number of threads unreadable.

I wouldn't pretend to characterize their motivations...but in terms of running a coherent online forum, there's a whole bunch of things one has to take into consideration.

Tim: If you want to PM me about a particular post and changes you want made, I'll be more than glad to help out.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I think that's pretty standard everywhere for exactly those reasons. And 24 hours might even be more generous than some forums allow.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think that's pretty standard everywhere for exactly those reasons. And 24 hours might even be more generous than some forums allow.

Bumping this up-- some forums only give you 5 or 10 minutes to make any changes (far too limited, IMO)!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well I just found out about this 24 limit.

Guess I’ve never needed to edit anything after that time limit before.

I just noticed that something I posted 2 days ago somehow got all futzed up.
The post doesn’t make a lick of sense.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well I just found out about this 24 limit.

Guess I’ve never needed to edit anything after that time limit before.

I just noticed that something I posted 2 days ago somehow got all futzed up.
The post doesn’t make a lick of sense.

I suspect you probably could get a mod to make an edit if you really need to.

At some point in the Premium Forum membership you can get longer editing privilege's

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I’m not going to bother.
No one has looked at my post anyway so it’s not that important.
I’m premium as you are but editing still is available for only a day maybe two.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It appears it's the $5 per month level that the time limit is removed for edits. I have considered that upgrade specifically for that purpose, but then realized I probably only would like to do that a handful of times per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks