How to? DVI to YCrCb

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gene.B, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Gene.B

Gene.B Auditioning

Realy hope someone can help me out here.
    I have an older Toshiba 65" HDTV that still works great, but has ColorStream inputs (YCrCb). Everything was cool until my Toshiba DVD player finally went kaput. Now I'm trying to get my computer with an Sapphire/ATI Radeon Video card to hook up to it. The video has outputs in DVI - S-Video - VGA.
    What I would really like is to find a way to get the DVI to the YCrCb on the TV.
    Can't find an adaptor anywhere. Any ideas on how to proceed?

2. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

Unfortunately, there's really no way to do that--none, anyhow, that are remotely cost-effective. ATI does make a lot of cards that provide component video out, and you could use one of those to make this connection.

3. Gene.B

Gene.B Auditioning

Thanks for the response Kurt. That's pretty much what I'm finding out.
    I picked up a cheap S-Video cable today to use as an interiem measure. Maybe the quality loss won't be that bad.

How about non-cost effective ways to convert YPrPb to YCrCb? My only other options appear to be to give up on the PC approach (junking the already built PC), try to get the old and obsolete DVD player fixed, or get a new 65" HDTV. None of those are particulary appealing either.
    Perils of being an early adopter I guess.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

nice job Michael [​IMG]

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

What is the difference between YPbPr and YCrCb? I thought they were 2 names for the same signal.

-V

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

In principle YPbPr is analog, YCrCb is digital, but in practice electronics manufacturers mix them up & use them interchangeably.

Why not just get a new DVD player? You can get a Toshiba 3960 for something like $70.

7. Gene.B

Gene.B Auditioning

I did go out an buy the Toshiba player you mentioned. Does not work with my Toshiba TV though. Depending on how you arrange the outputs, you either miss the blue or red channel. So YPrPb and YCrCb are definitley not interchangable. But it could just be a matter of arranging the pin-outs, but that's beyond my level of expertise.
    Ultimately I want to use a PC for playing DVDs though, so the problem will still remain. How to convert Component to Toshiba Color Stream?

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

From what I can glean from google, the only difference is this:

YCbCr is digital.
    YPbPr is analog.

Since it is unlikely that your player's video jacks output 8 bit digital signals, it's fairly safe to assume that some variation of YPbPr is used.

Indeed, the manual for the DV-3960, available here, shows a single set of component video jacks, labeled Pb, Pr, and Y.

Colorstream is simply the term toshiba uses to market component video. Colorstream is interlaced, Colorstream Pro is progressive, Colorstream HD is high definition.

Perhaps you've hooked up the player to the wrong set of jacks on the TV? (Toshiba also offers other manuals online-- given the model number of your TV, one of us could download it, and offer more assistance....)

9. Gene.B

Gene.B Auditioning

Thanks Jeremy that at least clears up some misinformation I had.
    The back of the TV has two component inputs, one marked ColorStream and one marked DTV. So far as I can tell they are almost the same thing. I believe both should accept 480P or 1080i signals. Time Warner tried to hook up a digital set top box to DTV a while back, and we got the same thing, either a red or blue 1080i picture. They had no clue what was wrong so they gave up on it. Told me the TV was "broken". There is also some S-Video inputs, but I'm afraid of losing quality if I go that way. Also, want to make sure I get the best possible quality 5.1 sound.

No matter how I hook the thing up, I either get a picture that's red or blue. That's where I got the idea that there must be some difference in the pinouts.

I haven't yet tried to hook up the computer (still setting it up) but that has a Radeon card with DVI converted to YPrPb through the ATI adpator. So it should output the same signal as the DVD player.

I did find the original owners manual for the TV. It's a Toshiba TW65H80. I could scan the section and send of post it. Just says to connect the Y/Cb/Cr outputs on the DVD player to the Y/Cb/Cr inputs on the TV.

10. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

There's no way that any DVD player is not going to work with your TV, unless one of the components is broken. All DVD players and TVs adhere to the same basic component video standards, with only minor variations in color vs. voltage levels.

There are only 3 possibilities:
    - you miswired
    - the input you selected only supports 480i, but you have the player set to 480p, or vice versa.
    - one of the two is defective.

Please post your TV's model number, and which jacks you have connected to which jacks on the player.

11. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

With the additional info, there is a high probability that your TV is just broken.

There's no difference in the pinouts. Just connect Y to Y, Cr to Pr, Cb to Pb. Try both the "colorstream" input set and the "DTV interface" set.

If neither work, you either have to get the set repaired or just use S-video.

12. Gene.B

Gene.B Auditioning

Thanks everyone for the help.
    It turns out that Toshiba DVD players have a setup option to use "YUM" output for their color stream instead of the default. Once you set that, everythning works fine.
    I'm sure I'll run into the same problem when it comes down to setting up the HTPC. Video cards, so far as I know only output YPrPb, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.