How to disable security "feature" on Nokia 5165?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have this prepaid cellphone plan from ATT, their Free2Go plan that comes with a Nokia 5165. I have the local plan so I pay roaming charges and stuff. But my question, is there a way to turn off the security feature when I'm in the "Extended Area" (It actually says "extended area" on the screen) where it asks you to input this god-awful huge amount of numbers just to make a simple phone call??? When I'm up in the catskills, NY and sometimes want to hook up with a friend in Newburgh on the way home, whenever I call him, I speed dial that phone number, it asks me first 1)English or Spanish, then it asks me 3) Enter my phone number (what????? what's the point?) 4) Enter my PIN number 5) Enter the phone I wish to dial (WHAT!!!! I just pressed this before, of which I don't remember it so I have to exit and go back to the menu to write it down or memorize it) then it finally dials??? I notice it doesn't do this when I'm at home or in the local calling area.. How does one disable it? Can I do this through the "restrict outgoing calls" feature????? As far as I know that's supposed to prevent outgoing calls but the default of that should be "off"

Jay

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It sounds like, even though you are in an "extended area" you are technically roaming on another carrier that has an agreement with AT&T. And, because you are a prepay user, it makes things a little more complicated. Calls have to be routed through a prepay switch first that tracks your usage before a call goes through.

I'm guessing the problem is not with the phone, or AT&T for that matter, but with the carrier you are roaming on. It sounds like they want to "double verify" that you are who you say you are by having you re-enter your phone number and pin (they are trying to protect their wallets from phone fraud).

The easiest fix is to get standard service, otherwise the 5165 is capable of storing a string of numbers separated by pauses. Perhaps you could pre-program it with all that info?

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, I might try that, however, I think when I speed dial the number, it connects to somebody and then I get prompted via a computer voice to enter the stuff. If I could program a "pause" that might work... Of course, then I'll have to program 2 numbers for one person, one being just the number and the other being this huge string of numbers. I hope the Nokia recognized the ',' as being a pause, like most PC modems, but I'll try it.

Jay

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Actually, you could use the "wait" feature rather than a pause. That way, the phone will speed dial the phone number and wait for you press send before it does the next set of numbers. This means, you wouldn't have to have 2 phone numbers for every one, you just wouldn't send the extra info while in your home area.

To program a wait, while entering the numbers, push the star key several times until you see a "w" on the screen. ("p" is for pause, I think it's a 1 second pause)

Then when you want to dial the number, you do your speed dial as you normally would, the phone will show you the next block of numbers but will wait for you to press the send key.

Does that make sense?

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, that makes sense and a nice feature. I wish ATT would of put this in their manual to explain such a thing. I always have a hard time making out what half their CSRs are saying cause they talk so fast and have a strong accent!

Jay

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi Dave, I attempted to reprogram one of my numbers and guess what??? There's not enough freakin' storage to store them all??? I count 36 digits I need to dial a stupid phone number... 11 digit number, 1 to get english, 10 digit my phone, 4 digit PIN, and AGAIN the 10 digit number I wanted to dial in the first place... I get cut off at about 25 characters include the 'w's for the waits too. I guess I'm going to have to cut out my PIN and cut out my phone number (since I remember that) and simply put the phone number I want to dial twice so I don't have to remember that..

Jay