What's new

How to delete Windows User ID Log In's? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
My Parents inlaw have a windows XP computer and the Dork brother inlaw set them up their own User ID Log In's. They (as I would) hate having to switch back and forth between the two of them. They want it like our computer which boots directly to the Desk top with all their Icons set on it.
I have looked but can not find how you would delete their log in ID and save the Icons to one desk top with out any log in required.

How can I do this?

Wes

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
method 1
control panal -> user accounts

delete every user (excluding guest) except for one, whom will be the computers administrator. Disable the guest account.

click on "change the way users log on and or off" and make sure the "use welcome screen box" is checked. With only one passwordless account, windows should just always boot up into that user's account.

method 2
1.Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2.
2.Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.
3.Click Apply.
4.Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.
5.Click OK again and you're all done.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
So will these methods combined all the Icons from both user on to the single desk top? Or will they all be gone/deleted?

Wes

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
uhm, yeah, without a little extra work the only icons that will remain will be the ones of the profile you left in. I sorta forgot about that :b.

So then, what we need to do then is figure out which profile you want to keep. open up explorer and go to:
C:Documents and Settingsprofile nameDesktop

Now open a second explorer window and go to the other profiles desktop and copy contents from each of those to the desktop of the profile you want to keep. It should be fine to overrite files since if there are duplicates they should point to the same location.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Problem might be solved, The nephue down loaded a virus and screwed up the HDD, now we get to start from scratch! Thanks for your help!

Wes

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Ah! That sucks!

Well it was no trouble for the help, but, good luck on getting everything back up and going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks